Skip to main content Skip to navigation

Visa Information

Information and guidance on which type of VISA will be required for the Summer School.

Do I need Immigration permission to study at the Pre-University Summer School?

To check whether or not you need immigration permission to study at our Summer School please visit the UK Visas and Immigration website as immigration (visa) regulations change very often. Even if you think you may not need immigration permission, we strongly advise you to look through Warwick’s Immigration Service for information and advice.

What type of immigration permission do I need?

Almost all our Summer School students will need to apply to the Standard Visitor visa route, as this is the most appropriate.

You should apply to the Pre-University Summer School as early as possible as the visa process can often take time. In some cases you may want to apply for a different visa depending on your circumstances i.e. teachers. If you think you may need a different visa - get in touch.

If you already have a visa that is valid until after the programme finishes, you may be able to use this to attend the Summer School. We recommend you also get in touch to discuss your visa arrangements.

Will I receive a visa invitation letter?

Yes. Once you have received an offer and completed the online registration form and paid for your Summer School course fees, we will provide you with a Summer School visa support letter that can be used for your visa application. We will send this automatically by email. We start to send these out from February onwards (you cannot apply any more than 3 months before you intend to travel).

To ensure that you receive your immigration permission in time for the Summer School we recommend that you pay for your Summer School fees as early as possible to prevent any delays in the visa application process.

Where do I apply?

This depends on your nationality. If you are a 'visa national', you must apply outside the UK. Visa nationals always need a visa prior to entering the UK. You can check if you are a visa national on the website.

If once you have completed the form and it says, "You won’t need a visa to come to the UK. However, you should bring documents with you to show at the border", you are a 'non-visa national'. This means that you can choose to apply at the embassy in your own country for permission before you leave, or alternatively you can bring all your documents and apply at the border when you arrive in the UK. If you apply at the airport, there is no charge.

Please see Warwick's Immigration Service for details on where to apply. There is a heading which says, "How do I apply for a Short-Term Study visa". If you are ever asked for a Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) number - you are most likely applying for the incorrect visa. A CAS number is only issued to full time students who require a Student visa for a course longer than 6 months.

What documents do I need to submit?

We strongly advise you read through Warwick's Immigration Service carefully when you apply. To find out which documents and financial evidence you should provide with your visa application, please read the sections "What are the application requirements for the Standard Visitor Visa Route?".

We strongly recommend you read the above page thoroughly before applying for your visa to eliminate any chance of visa refusal.

If you are aged 16-17 you will also need to provide details of travel, accommodation and care arrangements in the UK and written consent from a parent or legal guardian.

How long will it take for my visa invitation letter to arrive?

Visa support letters won't be issued until February (you can't apply for your visa more than 3 months before you intend to travel). Visa support letters are sent to you electronically within one week of your tuition fee payment being successfully completed, provided you have attached all the relevant supporting documents with your application such as your passport copy. We ask for further documents such as your passport copy to ensure the details on your visa support letter are accurate.

What if my visa is refused?

If your visa is refused, you should reapply making sure you acknowledge the given reasons for refusal to eliminate the chance of receiving a refusal on your second attempt. This must be done at least 6 weeks before the start of the programme (see terms and conditions). If you receive refusal after your second attempt, we will refund your tuition fees minus a £50 administration charge.

If you receive a visa refusal you may wish to contact Warwick’s Immigration Service who can give you advice on how to proceed.

Please also see our terms and conditions.