POLITICS, INTERNATIONAL STUDIES AND GERMAN (BA)
Full-time 2019 entry, AAB, IB 36
Explore approaches to political ideas both nationally and globally, whilst developing an in-depth understanding of the German language, and of society and culture in Germany and Austria and their relationship to the rest of Europe and the world.
Joint honours degree, split 50:50 between Politics and International Studies and German with a final year choice of remaining 50:50 or focusing 75:25 on German or PAIS.
You can also get involved with extracurricular activity linked to your studies, such as the PAIS Film Club. The course is good preparation for a career in politics, although it develops transferable skills in investigative and evaluative research, presentation and critical analysis that can be applied in many careers. Year 2 or 3 is spent studying or on work placement in Germany or Austria.
Joint degree split 50-50 between PAIS and German in Years 1 and 2 or 3; Year 2 or 3 Abroad; Final year choice between 50-50, or 75-25 PAIS-German, or 75-25 German-PAIS.
1st Year 120 CATS core; 2nd Year or 3rd Year at Warwick 60 CATS core 60 CATS options; Final Year 60 CATS core 60 CATS options.
Most modules are taught by a combination of weekly lectures and seminars.
8-12 hours of classroom contact per week. Teaching follows a pattern of weekly lectures and seminars, supplemented by group work, one-to-one advice and feedback hours, and the use of web-based materials.
Lectures vary; Seminars in Year One - maximum 14 students; Seminars in later years - maximum 18 students.
Assesment depends on your choice between coursework and exams; also dependent on modules chosen. The final degree classification is determined by your second or third year (50%) and final year marks (50%).
The year abroad is spent studying and/or on work placement in a country where German is the native language. Possible exchange universities have included:
Freie Universität Berlin
Technische Universität Wien
Technische Universität Dresden
Universität zu Köln
Ludwig Maximilians Universität München
Humboldt Universität zu Berlin
You can choose between study abroad or work placement for the compulsory year abroad.
"My favourite lecture was 'Researching Voting Behaviour' since it linked very well to the 2015 General Election, and was therefore very current to study. I also enjoyed the 'Ethical Problems in Political Research' lecture, where we looked at whether Facebook manipulating the news feed of its users is justified, or ethical."
Check out Shanita's blog
A level: AAB, including German or other Modern or Classical Language
Contextual data and differential offers: Warwick may make differential offers to students in a number of circumstances. These include students participating in the Realising Opportunities programme, or who meet two of the contextual data criteria. Differential offers will be one or two grades below Warwick’s standard offer (to a minimum of BBB).
- Access Courses: Access to HE Diploma (QAA-recognised) including appropriate subjects with distinction grades in level 3 units, and grade A in A level Mathematics or equivalent.
- Warwick International Foundation Programme (IFP) All students who successfully complete the Warwick IFP and apply to Warwick through UCAS will receive a guaranteed conditional offer for a related undergraduate programme (selected courses only). For full details of standard offers and conditions visit the IFP website.
- We welcome applications from students with other internationally recognised qualifications. For more information please visit the international entry requirements page.
Taking a gap year Applications for deferred entry welcomed.
Interviews We do not typically interview applicants. Offers are made based on your UCAS form which includes predicted and actual grades, your personal statement and school reference. We are considering innovative ways to broaden how we assess candidates, so you are advised to check our website prior to applying in case we have introduced any changes.
Introduction to Politics
Modern German Language I or Beginners
German Culture module
Year 2 or 3
- Political Theory from Hobbes
- Modern German Language II
- Issues in Political Theory
- Modern German Language III
Selection of optional modules that current students are studying:
Europe: Politics and Ideas; German Culture in the Age of Revolution 1789-1848; Politics of the UK; Politics of the USA; Bertolt Brecht: Theatre as Revolution; International Security; African Politics in Comparative Politics; German Memories of World War II
Our graduates have gone on to work for organisations including: NHS Graduate Scheme, Save the Children Korea, Reuters, IPSOS-MORI, Labour Party.
Examples of our graduates’ job roles include: Communications Officer, HR Management, Freelance Video Producer and Reporter, Parliamentary Researcher, Research Officer, Parliamentary Candidate.
A level AAB, iincluding German or other Modern or Classical Language
Degree of Bachelor of Arts (BA)
4 years full time
24 September 2019
Location of study
University of Warwick, Coventry and a year abroad.
Find out more about fees and funding
There may be costs associated with other items or services such as academic texts, course notes, and trips associated with your course.
Given the interval between the publication of courses and enrolment, some of the information may change. It is important to check our website before you apply. Please read our terms and conditions to find out more.
This information is applicable for 2019 entry.
- Politics and Sociology
- Politics and International Studies
- Politics, International Studies and French
- Politics, International Studies and Hispanic Studies
- Politics International Studies and Italian
- Philosophy, Politics and Economics (PPE)
- History and Politics
- Economics, Politics and International Studies
- Liberal Arts
- Philosophy, Politics and Law
- German Studies
- English and German Literature
- French and German Studies
- German Studies and Economics
- German and History
- German and Theatre Studies
- German with French
- German with Italian
- German with Spanish
- German with Film Studies
- French Studies with German
- German Studies and Italian
- Hispanic Studies and German
- Hispanic Studies with German
- Italian with German
- International Business with German
- Law with German Law