POLITICS, INTERNATIONAL STUDIES AND ITALIAN (BA)
Full-time 2019 entry, AAB, IB 36
This joint honours degree gives you the opportunity to acquire Italian language skills while receiving a thorough training in the study of Politics and International Studies.
Your degree is split 50:50 between Politics and International Studies and Italian with the option of a 75:25 split in either discipline in the final year.
You will critically engage with the political world from national and global perspectives, exploring the theoretical and empirical approaches to political ideas. At the same time you’ll deepening your understanding of the Italian language and culture and its relationship to Europe and the rest of the world. The second or third year is spent studying or on a work placement in Italy. You can choose the combination of essays and exams that will make up the assessment for your degree, including the possibility of a final-year dissertation.
Joint degree split 50-50 between PAIS and Italian in Years 1 and 2 or 3; Year 2 or 3 Abroad; Final year choice between 50-50, or 75-25 PAIS-Italian, or 75-25 Italian-PAIS.
1st Year 120 CATS core; 2nd Year or 3rd Year at Warwick 60 CATS core 60 CATS options; Final Year 60 CATS core 60 CATS options.
Most modules are taught by a combination of weekly lectures and seminars.
8-12 hours of classroom contact per week. Teaching follows a pattern of weekly lectures and seminars, supplemented by group work, one-to-one advice and feedback hours, and the use of web-based materials.
Lectures vary; Seminars in Year One - maximum 14 students; Seminars in later years - maximum 18 students.
Assesment depends on your choice between coursework and exams; also dependent on modules chosen. The final degree classification is determined by your second or third year (50%) and final year marks (50%).
The year abroad is spent studying and/or on work placement in a country where Spanish is the native language. Possible exchange universities have included:
Università di Firenze
Università di Siena (Arezzo & Siena)
Università di Bologna
Università di Pavia
Università di Pisa
Università di Roma La Sapienza
Università di Genoa
Università di Napoli L'Orientale
Università di Salerno
Università di Torino
Università di Urbino Carlo Bo
Università di Cagliari
Università di Verona
Università di Trieste
Università di Messina
Università di Catania (Catania & Ragusa)
Università di Brescia
Università Cattolica del Sacro Cuore
Università di Milano
You can choose between study abroad or work placement for the compulsory year abroad.
"My favourite lecture was 'Researching Voting Behaviour' since it linked very well to the 2015 General Election, and was therefore very current to study. I also enjoyed the 'Ethical Problems in Political Research' lecture, where we looked at whether Facebook manipulating the news feed of its users is justified, or ethical."
Check out Shanita's blog
A level: AAB, including Italian or other Modern or Classical Language
Contextual data and differential offers: Warwick may make differential offers to students in a number of circumstances. These include students participating in the Realising Opportunities programme, or who meet two of the contextual data criteria. Differential offers will be one or two grades below Warwick’s standard offer (to a minimum of BBB).
- Access Courses: Access to HE Diploma (QAA-recognised) including appropriate subjects with distinction grades in level 3 units, and grade A in A level Mathematics or equivalent.
- Warwick International Foundation Programme (IFP) All students who successfully complete the Warwick IFP and apply to Warwick through UCAS will receive a guaranteed conditional offer for a related undergraduate programme (selected courses only). For full details of standard offers and conditions visit the IFP website.
- We welcome applications from students with other internationally recognised qualifications. For more information please visit the international entry requirements page.
Taking a gap year Applications for deferred entry welcomed.
Interviews We do not typically interview applicants. Offers are made based on your UCAS form which includes predicted and actual grades, your personal statement and school reference. We are considering innovative ways to broaden how we assess candidates, so you are advised to check our website prior to applying in case we have introduced any changes.
Introduction to Politics
Modern Italian Language I or Beginners Italian
Italian Culture module
Year 2 or 3
- Political Theory from Hobbes
- Modern Italian Language II
- Issues in Political Theory
- Modern Italian Language III
Selection of optional modules that current students are studying:
Europe: Politics and Ideas; Modern Italian Culture in Dialogue with Europe; Italian Cinema: Envisioning the Future; Introducing Dante’s Hell; Medieval and Renaissance Short Fiction in Italy and England; Italian Women’s Writing: Voices of Protest; Transnational Stories in Italy; The Politics of Religion.
Our graduates have gone on to work for organisations including: NHS Graduate Scheme, Save the Children Korea, Reuters, IPSOS-MORI, Labour Party.
Examples of our graduates’ job roles include: Communications Officer, HR Management, Freelance Video Producer and Reporter, Parliamentary Researcher, Research Officer, Parliamentary Candidate.
A level AAB, including Italian or other Modern or Classical Language
Degree of Bachelor of Arts (BA)
4 years full time
24 September 2019
Location of study
University of Warwick, Coventry and a year abroad.
Find out more about fees and funding
There may be costs associated with other items or services such as academic texts, course notes, and trips associated with your course.
This information is applicable for 2019 entry.
Given the interval between the publication of courses and enrolment, some of the information may change. It is important to check our website before you apply. Please read our terms and conditions to find out more.
- Politics and Sociology
- Politics and International Studies
- Politics, International Studies and French
- Politics, International Studies and German
- Politics International Studies and Hispanic Studies
- Philosophy, Politics and Economics (PPE)
- History and Politics
- Economics, Politics and International Studies
- Liberal Arts
- Philosophy, Politics and Law
- Italian Studies
- Italian with French
- Italian with German
- Italian with Spanish
- Italian studies with Portuguese
- Italian studies with Russian
- Italian studies with Chinese
- Italian studies with Japanese
- Italian studies with Arabic
- Italian with Theatre Studies
- Italian with Film Studies
- English and Italian Literature
- French and Italian Studies
- German Studies and Italian
- History and Italian
- Italian and Classics
- Italian Studies and Economics
- Italian and History of Art
- French Studies with Italian
- German with Italian
- History of Art with Italian
- Hispanic Studies and Italian
- Hispanic Studies with Italian
- International Business with Italian