The time has come for the society’s Annual General Meeting and elections for the next year! We’re giving you lots of notice so that you have time to put the date in your diaries and have a think about positions.
Elections will be held on Thursday 7th March (Week 9), from 7pm in the Mighty Duck, the small room to the right as soon as you enter the Dirty Duck.
Let us know whether you're coming or not ... Click attending here!
It is really important that everyone comes, (even if you have not been involved in the society until now) as your votes will determine who is running the society next year!
Why should I run for an exec position?
- It’s great fun – I’ve had a brilliant two years on the exec”
- It’s a chance to give something back
- Looks excellent on your CV
- Can be used as your DofE volunteering
There are 7 positions up for election. If there is a high number of candidates for one or more positions we will potentially elect two people for one position; this will be decided upon and voted for by everyone present at the AGM.
For the first three positions, a good knowledge of DofE or a completed award is desirable; this is not necessary for the other positions.
- Oversee day to day running of society
- Delegate tasks as necessary
- Ensure other execs are planning events early and to deadlines
- Contact Ryan if you have any questions about this role.
Vice-President and D of E Leader
- Assist President in running of society as necessary
- First port of call for participants with questions about DofE
- Responsible for guiding participants through the award and helping them find activities
- Manages eDofE system
- This person should ideally be experienced and knowledgeable about DofE
- Contact Alexis if you have any questions about this role.
- In charge of making sure participants receive an appropriate level of expedition Training.
- Coordinates the organisation of Day Walks, Night Hikes, Training Weekend and Expeditions.
- Keeps a record of society equipment.
- This person must be organised, and should ideally be an experienced walker
- Contact Will or Eve if you have any questions about this role.
- Responsible for the administration of the Society, this includes: arranging exec meetings, taking minutes, managing the email account, booking rooms and other admin tasks as necessary.
- You do need to be organised and to check the e-mail account regularly, but do not necessarily need a good knowledge of the award.
- Contact Scott if you have any questions about this role.
- Responsible for managing the Societies finances. This includes budgeting, paying money in and claiming expenses.
- This person is also responsible for processing DofE application forms and ordering hoodies etc.
- This person may wish to seek sponsorship for the society.
- This person must be organised and responsible.
- Contact Nathalie if you have any questions about this role.
I.T and Publicity Officer
- Responsible for keeping the main website, our page on the SU site and Facebook groups up to date, adding sections as required by other exec members.
- Coordinates publicity during Fresher’s period, including kitchen runs, postering and the Fresher’s Fair. Designs posters.
- This person should ideally be computer literate and experience in HTML is desirable but not at all required, as our website is managed using simple software.
- Contact Hendrik if you have any questions about this role.
- Responsible for planning, running and promoting society socials, including new ideas (such as ice-skating) and joint socials.
- This person is also responsible for Equal Opportunities.
- Contact TK if you have any questions about this role.
How to run for a position
- Please email Ryan to find out how you can run for a position!
The handover period will begin straight away, but the new exec will not completely take over until the end of Term 3.