There are lots of opportunities for conducting during rehearsals and also at busking or in concerts.
A few pre-conducting tips:
- If you're a bit scared of standing in front of the choir, why not grab a friend and conquer your fear by doing a warm-up together? This way, you'll have moral support and an idea of how the choir responds to you.
- If you would like to conduct a song, speak to the Music Coordinators.
- Know the song inside out - know what you want the choir to do.
- Make sure the choir know what parts of the song correspond with which signals - don't forget to have signals for changing volume!
- If the choir is swaying in different directions - stand still and point in the direction you would like everyone to go.
- Use your whole body to conduct - spread your arms so everyone can see what you want them to do.
- If you know you're going to conduct a song practise with a recording in front of the mirror.
- Practise conducting with a few friends singing the different parts - ask them for constructive criticism.
- If the choir aren't watching/smiling at you - smile/wave/do something funny at them!
- Finally - look confident and enjoy it!