Warwick Institute of Engagement (WIE) provides a crucial interdisciplinary hub for staff from across the University to discuss their approaches, exchange ideas, seek support and work together to create exciting new Engagement opportunities for staff and students.
No matter what your role – whether you're a professor, a technician, or a finance manager we're interested in what you've got to say – the Institute is a place for all staff and students to engage.
On this page:
- How we're supporting staff engagement
- The role of Learning Circles
- The launch of Warwick Institute of Engagement
- Appointment of Foundation, Associate and Honorary Fellows from across a broad spectrum of departments (including professional services and all faculties)
- Working to embed engagement training as part of teaching and research development pathways, as well as providing stand alone training and development opportunities for all staff
- Championing appropriate reward and recognition for engagement
- Supporting institutional level engagement events such as City of Culture
- Ensuring we contribute to relevant strategic programmes across Warwick, including EUTOPIA
- Developing a central database of engagement activity to better map and coordinate engagement efforts
- Leading on Warwick's contributions to KEF and the Knowledge Exchange Concordat
Over the coming months the Institute will also launch a series of Learning Circles with our Engagement Fellows.
These Learning Circles will provide thought leadership by exploring key issues in engagement, and the place of engagement at Warwick, informing future University strategy and practice. A full list of the areas being explored is available on the Learning Circles page - which will be kept updated with progress for each one - however highlights include:
- Developing a Pedagogy of Public Engagement
- A review of promotion criteria for those doing Impact, Outreach and Engagement work
- EUTOPIA Public Engagement Strategy Development
- Co-Producing Research and Collaborating with Communities
- The Future of Engagement in HE
The Warwick Institute of Engagement launched in November 2020 with our webinar to announce the launch and what our plans for the Institute would be and consult with staff and students (watch back the event here).
Stuart Croft, Vice-Chancellor, speaking at the launch of the Institute of Engagement:
"Engaging the wider world with what we do at Warwick is at the core of our philosophy and mind-set. This is even more than a great, exciting thing to do; it’s the right thing to do. Universities the world over need to be in direct dialogue with people – building relationships, partnerships and networks regionally, nationally and globally to connect our work with their worlds.
The new Warwick Institute of Engagement takes our work at Warwick to the next level – creating a network to share experience and ideas, creating opportunities for ongoing engagement with local and regional communities, putting engagement at the heart of the Warwick undergraduate experience and developing an evidence-based approach for training and development of great quality engagement. I’m really pleased to see the Institute coming to life and look forward to seeing our community of staff – researchers, teaching staff, technicians, professional services experts, and our students drive our commitment to engagement forward in truly dynamic and imaginative ways."
Watch: Warwick Institute of Engagement Launch Video