Please note: Recruitment to the ALIFE2 study ended on 31st January 2021. The details below are for information only.
What is the Alife2 study?
Alife2 is a study investigating whether anti-coagulant (blood-thinning) treatment reduces the risk of miscarriage in women with two or more (unexplained) miscarriages and inherited thrombophilia- a blood-clotting problem.
Who can take part?
Participants were able to take part in the trial if a blood test showed that they have inherited thrombophilia and:
- They have had two or more miscarriages
- They were aged between 18 and 42
- They were trying for a baby, or plan to try, and are not yet pregnant and
- They were willing to be ‘randomised’ – to be chosen at random – to either the trial treatment or standard care.
What would I need to do?
Participants randomised to trial treatment were instructed in how to inject themselves once daily with a dose of anti-coagulant in either upper leg or abdomen. Treatment would start at or within 7 weeks of a confirmed pregnancy (based on first day of the last period) and continue until the start of labour or the end of the pregnancy.
Participants randomised to standard care won't need to inject themselves at all, but will be given the normal pregnancy care, although they will be followed up by the research team.
Where is it taking place?
Recruitment has now finished. The following hospitals took part in the trial:
- Basingstoke: Basingstoke and North Hampshire Hospital
- Birmingham: Heartlands Hospital
- Birmingham: Birmingham Women's Hospital
- Bolton: Royal Bolton Hospital
- Cambridge: Addenbrooke’s Hospital
- Chester: Countess of Chester Hospital
- Chesterfield: Chesterfield Royal Hospital
- Coventry: University Hospital Coventry
- Cumbria: University Hospitals of Morecambe Bay
- Harrogate: Harrogate District Hospital
- Kingston Upon Thames: Kingston Hospital
- Leicester: Leicester Royal Infirmary
- Leeds: St James University Hospital
- Liverpool: Liverpool Women’s Hospital
- London: Epsom and St Helier University Hosptials NHS Trust
- London: North Middlesex University Hospital
- London: Royal Free Hospital
- London: University College London Hospital (UCLH)
- London: University Hospital Lewisham
- Manchester: St Mary’s Hospital
- Manchester: Stepping Hill Hospital
- Nottingham: Queens Medical Centre
- Oxford: John Radcliffe Hospital
- Sheffield: Jessop Wing (Royal Hallamshire Hospital)
- Southampton: University Hospital Southampton
- Tameside and Glossop: Tameside General Hospital
- Wirral: Arrowe Park Hospital
- Ayrshire and Arran: University Hospital Crosshouse
- Swansea: Singleton Hospital
For current participants
Thank you for taking part in the ALIFE2 study. For information on your data privacy please access the following page: https://www.uhcw.nhs.uk/privacy/.