- Bruner, J (1986) Actual minds, possible worlds, Cambridge, MA, Harvard University Press
- Bruner, J (1990) Acts of meaning, Cambridge, MA, Harvard University Press.
- Bruner, J (1996) The Culture of Education, London ; Cambridge, Mass. : Harvard University Press.
- Vygotsky, L. S. (1978) Mind in Society: The Development of Higher Psychological Processes, Boston, MA, Harvard University Press.
- Vygotsky, L. (1962) Thought and Language, Cambridge, MA, MIT Press.
Communities of Practice
- Cousin, G & Deepwell, F. (2005) Designs for network learning: a communities of practice perspective, Studies in Higher Education, 30, pp. 55-64.
- McDonald, W. M. (Ed.). (2002), Creating Campus Community: In Search of Ernest Boyer’s Legacy, Josey-Bass, San Francisco.
- Wenger, E, (1998), Communities of Practice: Learning, Meaning and Identity, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, UK.
- Wenger, E. et al. (2002) Cultivating Communities of Practice: A Guide to Managing Knowledge, Harvard Business School Press, Boston, MA.
Learning Space Design
- AMA Alexi Marmott Associates et al. (Feb 2006). Space for Learning: A review of learning spaces in further and higher education: A report prepared for the Scottish Funding Agency. http://www.jiscinfonet.ac.uk/Resources/external-resources/sfc-spaces-for-learning
- Brown, M.B. & Lippincott, J.K. (2003) Learning spaces: more than meets the eye, in Educause Quarterly, 26, pp. 14-16.
- Callego Perez, D et al, (2004) Pedagogy of Place, New York, Peter Lang Publishing.
- Greenwood, M. et al, (2007) A small-scale experiment in the development of social-learning space, unpublished paper. http://www.degw.com/knowledge_lectures.aspx
- Harrison, A, (2006) Working to Learn, Learning to Work: Design in Educational Transformation. DEGW Fourth Annual Founders' Lecture London: Royal College of Physicians
- JISC. (2006) Designing Spaces for Effective Learning: A guide to 21st Century Learning Space Design. http://www.jisc.ac.uk/media/documents/publications/learningspaces.pdf
- Johnson, C. & Lomas, C. (2005) Design of the learning space: learning and design principles. Educause Review, vol. 40, no. 4 (July/August 2005) pp16-28. Available online at url: http://connect.educause.edu/Library/EDUCAUSE+Review/DesignoftheLearningSpaceL/40557
- Kenney, D, et al., (2005), Mission and Place: Strengthening Learning and Community through Campus Design, Praeger Publishers, USA.
- Kuh, G, et al., (2005) Student Success in College: Creating Conditions that Matter, Jossey-Bass, San Francisco.
- Lynch, K and Carr, S (1968) Where Learning Happens, Daedalus, Winter.
- MCTTEYA. (2008) Learning Spaces Framework: Learning in an Online World. Australia.http://www.mceecdya.edu.au/verve/_resources/ICT_LearningOnlineWorld-LearningSpacesFWork.pdf
- Monahan, T. (2002) Flexible space and built pedagogy: emerging IT embodiments. Inventio 4 (1): 1-19. Available online at url: http://www.torinmonahan.com/papers/Inventio.html
- Naisbitt, J. (1999) High tech, high touch: technology and our search for meaning. New York, Broadway Books.
- Oblinger, D, (2005) Leading the Transition from Classrooms to Learning Spaces, in Educause Quarterly, Number 1,
- Oblinger, D, (ed.) Learning Spaces, (2006) http://www.educause.edu/LearningSpaces
- Oldenburg, R, (1999) The Great Good Place, Marlowe and Company, New York.
- Paechter C et al, (2001) Learning, Space and Identity, SAGE Publications.
- Peter Jamieson et al., (2000), Place and Space in the Design of New Learning Environments, Higher Education Research & Development, 1469-8366, Volume 19, Issue 2, Pages 221 – 236
- Radcliff, D, et al., (2008), Designing next generation places of learning: collaboration at the Pedagogy-Space-Technology nexus, The University of Queensland.
- Scott-Webber, L. (2004) In Sync: environmental behaviour research and the design of learning spaces. Michigan, SCUP.
- Van Note Chism, N, et al., (2002), The Importance of Physical Space in Creating Supportive Learning Environments: New Directions for Teaching and Learning Journal, Number 92, Winter 2002, Jossey Bass, San Francisco.
- Williamson, A and Nodder, C. (2002) Extending the learning space: Dialogue and reflection in the virtual coffee shop. ACM SIGCAS Computers and Society 32 (3).
- Pearshouse, et al., (2009) Study of effective evaluation models & practices for technology supported physical learning spaces: JISC Final Report. LSRI, University of Nottingham http://www.jisc.ac.uk/whatwedo/projects/learningspaces08.aspx#downloads