MI Health brings together the country’s best health research expertise with the NHS and industry.
The UK’s heartbeat for cutting-edge Medicine, Life Sciences and MedTech
Building on legacy strengths in Manufacturing and Engineering together with internationally recognised research excellence, the Midlands is world-leading in five strength areas:
1. Medical Technologies – The home of MedTech innovation: with more MedTech companies than any other region in the UK, contributing £1.6bn to the UK economy, we aim to support the delivery of the 2.4% uplift in national R&D spend through our long-term plan for regional growth through the development of the Medical Technologies Innovation Accelerator (MTIA).
2. Imaging – Pioneering imaging technology in partnership with industry: an internationally recognised cluster of expertise in High Field MRI and imaging techniques. We aim to become the home of Ultra High Field imaging both for clinical and research use and to have the UK’s first 11.7T MRI facility. Higher magnetic fields ultimately enable greater detail for diagnostics.
3. Health Data – A health data and AI powerhouse: home to two Alan Turing Institute sites, four NHS England Global Digital Exemplars, one of the world’s largest Arm-based supercomputer deployments, the UK’s largest IBM Power9 AI cluster, one of six Health Data Research UK Substantive Sites and 3 Digital Innovation Hubs (announce 12th Sept 2019) – mobilising NHS data and giving patients across the UK faster access to pioneering new treatments.
4. Rehabilitation and Ageing – Driving the UK forwards: the ideal environment, infrastructure and expertise for the development and production of defence- and rehabilitation-focused innovations. As part of the Stanford Hall Rehabilitation Estate, the region will see the delivery of the recently awarded £70M Defence and National Rehabilitation Centre.
5. Clinical Trails – A proven track record of world-class delivery: UK’s largest experimental medicine facilities and the 2nd largest trials cluster in Europe, allowing the experienced delivery of adaptive trials at national and international scale.
MI Health, by drawing together this critical mass, can drive forward the country’s cutting edge health industry and power-up the NHS to deliver the country’s health needs.