The following scientific papers have been published as a result of the research conducted within the UK FASHIoN Trial. Follow the links to read the manuscripts in full.
- Arthroscopic hip surgery compared with personalised hip therapy in people over 16 years old with femoroacetabular impingement syndrome: UK FASHIoN RCT (nihr.ac.uk)
- Patient experiences of receiving arthroscopic surgery or personalised hip therapy for femoroacetabular impingement in the context of the UK fashion study: a qualitative study A. X. Realpe1* , N. E. Foster2, E. J. Dickenson3,4, M. Jepson1, D. R. Griffin3,4, and J. L. Donovan1 on behalf of the UK FASHIoN study group
- Nonoperative treatment for femoroacetabular impingement: a systematic review of the literature. Wall, P. D., Fernandez, M., Griffin, D. R., & Foster, N. E. (2013). PM&R, 5(5), 418-426.
- Surgery for treating hip impingement (femoroacetabular impingement). Wall, P. D., Brown, J. S., Parsons, N., Buchbinder, R., Costa, M. L., & Griffin, D. (2014). The Cochrane Library.
- Personalised Hip Therapy: development of a non-operative protocol to treat femoroacetabular impingement syndrome in the FASHIoN randomised controlled trial. Wall, P. D., Dickenson, E. J., Robinson, D., Hughes, I., Realpe, A., Hobson, R., Griffin, D.R., & Foster, N. E. (2016). British journal of sports medicine, 50(19), 1217-1223.
- A new simple six-step model to promote recruitment to RCTs was developed and successfully implemented. Realpe, A., Adams, A., Wall, P., Griffin, D., & Donovan, J. L. (2016). Journal of clinical epidemiology, 76, 166-174.
- UK FASHIoN: feasibility study of a randomised controlled trial of arthroscopic surgery for hip impingement compared with best conservative care. Griffin, D., Wall, P., Realpe, A., Adams, A., Parsons, N., Hobson, R., Achten, J., Fry, J., Costa, M., Petrou, S., & Foster, N. (2016). Health Technology Assessment.
- Protocol for a multicentre, parallel-arm, 12-month, randomised, controlled trial of arthroscopic surgery versus conservative care for femoroacetabular impingement syndrome (FASHIoN). Griffin, D. R., Dickenson, E. J., Wall, P. D., Donovan, J. L., Foster, N. E., Hutchinson, C. E., Parsons, N., Petrou, S., Realpe, A., Achten, J., Achana, F., Adams, A., Costa, M.L., Griffin, J., Hobson, R., Smith, J., on behalf of the FASHIoN Study Group (2016). BMJ open, 6(8), e012453.
- The Warwick Agreement on femoroacetabular impingement syndrome (FAI syndrome): an international consensus statement. Griffin, D. R., Dickenson, E. J., O'Donnell, J., Awan, T., Beck, M., Clohisy, J. C., ... & Hölmich, P. (2016). British journal of sports medicine, 50(19), 1169-1176.
- The feasibility of conducting a randomised controlled trial comparing arthroscopic hip surgery to conservative care for patients with femoroacetabular impingement syndrome: the FASHIoN feasibility study. Griffin, D. R., Dickenson, E. J., Wall, P. D. H., Realpe, A., Adams, A., Parsons, N., Hobson, R., Achten, J., Costa, M.L., Foster, N.E., Hutchinson, C. E., Petrou, S., & Donovan, J.L. (2016). Journal of Hip Preservation Surgery, 3(4), 304-311
In November 2019 the FASHIoN Trial was included in the PEDro Top 5 Trials from 2014-2019
To celebrate PEDro’s 20th birthday they have identified the five most important randomised controlled trials in physiotherapy published in the years 2014-2019. The trials were nominated by PEDro users, and an independent panel of international trialists judged the nominations received.
These ground-breaking trials are from a broad cross-section of physiotherapy practice. The trials answer important clinical questions that will change the way people are treated for a variety of conditions seen by physiotherapists and other healthcare professionals. All of them mark important milestones in the evolution of physiotherapy treatment.
The below resources have been produced in relation to this recognition from PEDro:
- Written summary can be found at the PEDro website at https://search.pedro.org.au/search-results/record-detail/53778
- Short video has been produced to summarise the study, available at https://youtu.be/ZtMBCCsKnWE
- A podcast with the lead authors produced by PT Pintcast https://www.ptpintcast.com/2019/11/27/research-review-of-fashion-uk-from-pedro/