I have recently completed my PhD student within the Division of Health Sciences at Warwick Medical School. My research was an exploration of the factors associated with childhood obesity for ethnic groups in Coventry using a mixed methods approach, as outlined below:
- Secondary data analysis of the National Child Measurement Programme data 2007 - 2014 to explore variation in BMI and obesity prevalence across ethnic groups in Coventry and the factors contributing to any variation, utilising multi-level modelling techniques.
- A narrative systematic review of the literature on factors influencing childhood obesity across ethnic groups in the UK.
- Indepth qualitative investigation of the factors contributing to childhood obesity in the high-risk ethnic groups in Coventry (identified through NCMP data anlysis) through focus groups and interviews with parents and children, using a socio-ecological framework.
My research sits within the Prevention and Detection theme of the NIHR Collaborations for Leadership in Applied Health Research and Care (West Midlands) and is a collaboration with the Public Health Department of Coventry City Council.
My research interests include Public Health, Childhood Obesity, Health Inequalities, Social Determinants of Health, Behavioural Drivers of Health, Behaviour Change and Mixed Methods.
- Murphy M, Robertson W, Johnson R, Boardman FK. A mixed methods study of childhood overweight across ethnic groups in Coventry. 11th European Public Health Conference, 28th Nov – 1st Dec 2018, Ljubljana (Oral presentation)
- Murphy M, Robertson W, Johnson R, Boardman FK. OP24 Eliciting children’s perceptions and experiences of health, diet, physical activity and weight through the draw, write and tell technique. Journal of Epidemiology and Community Health Sep 2017, 71 (Suppl 1) A13; DOI: 10.1136/jech-2017-SSMAbstracts.24 (Oral presentation).
- Al‐Khudairy L, Loveman E, Colquitt JL, Mead E, Johnson RE, Fraser H, Olajide J, Murphy M, Velho RM, O'Malley C, Azevedo LB, Ells LJ, Metzendorf MI, Rees K. (2017) Diet, physical activity and behavioural interventions for the treatment of overweight or obesity in adolescents aged 12 to 17 years. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 2017, Issue 6. Art. No.: CD012691. DOI: 10.1002/14651858.CD012691.
- Murphy M, Robertson W and Oyebode O. (2017) Obesity in international migrant populations. Current Obesity Reports, 6 (3): 314–323. ISSN 2162-4968
- Robertson W, Murphy M, Johnson R. Evidence base for the prevention and management of child obesity. Paediatrics and Child Health (2016) http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.paed.2015.12.009
- Murphy M, Johnson R, Griffiths F. Mixed methods in health research as a threshold learning concept and students’ negotiation of it through a creative learning experience. 2nd International Mixed Methods International Research Association conference, 3rd – 5th Aug 2016, Durham (Oral presentation)
- Murphy M, Robertson W, Johnson R, Porter J. Systematic review of the factors associated with overweight and obesity in children aged 4-11 years from minority ethnic or migrant groups in the UK. Protocol registration on PROSPERO: CRD42015019239
Dr Wendy Robertson
Dr Rebecca Johnson
This research is funded by NIHR CLAHRC West Midlands