3rd AC21 Research Festival - International Symposium 4th July 2006
Health, Wealth & Nutrition Symposium
Tuesday July 4th 2006
Medical Teaching Centre, Warwick Medical School, University of Warwick, UK
Symposium speakers and chairs
Key Themes Included:
- The political dimension
- Nutrition and disease
- Developing and transitional societies
- Inequality within the developed world
- What can we do?
- The globalisation of food economy
- WHO food and nutrition policy
- Tackling hunger by improving crops
- Early life nutrition and later health
- Adverse immunological consequences of wealth
- Effects of poverty and parenting in early life upon adult health
- The epidemic of obesity and diabetes
- Sleep disturbance and health
The programme focused on the causes and effects of both undernutrition and overnutrition.
Visiting Speakers Included:
Professor Francesco Branca, Regional Advisor Nutrition and Food Security, World Health Organisation, Copenhagen.
Professor Adnan Custovic, North West Lung Research Centre, Manchester.
Professor Tim Lang, Department of Health Management and Food Policy, City University, London.
Professor Andrew Prentice, Professor of International Nutrition, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine.
Professor Sir Alan Craft, Professor of Child Health, Newcastle University.
Local Organising Committee:
Professor Simon Murch
Professor Francesco Cappuccio
Professor Simon Bright
Professor Sudhesh Kumar
Professor Gillian Hundt
Professor Sarah Stewart-Brown
Professor Margaret Thorogood
- Health economists
- Health media
- Policy makers
- Regulatory Authorities
Associated International Research Festival
See link for further information on Symposia on Personalised Medicines, Nanotechnology, Maths and Media, Sustainable Manufacturing, Global HE Research, Corporate Responsibility, English in Higher Education in the 21st Century.