Coventry has been judged one of the top 50 cities in the world - and the 5th best in the UK - in which to study by independent higher education experts QS Quacquarelli Symonds, compilers of the QS World University Rankings portfolio.
The city, home to both the University of Warwick and Coventry University, was ranked 42nd in the world overall and also ranked second in the world behind only Melbourne, Australia for its student mix.
The Best Student Cities Rankings 2022, part of the QS World University Rankings portfolio, looks at a range of factors including affordability, desirability and the opinions of current students to draw up the league table.
The student mix category reviews the student make-up of the city, both overall and from an international perspective. A high score reflects the view that cities with higher proportions of students are likely to be better equipped with the facilities students need, while areas with high numbers of international students are more likely to be well-prepared to welcome even more. The category also takes into account whether a location has a track record of being tolerant and inclusive.
Kulbir Shergill, Director of Social Inclusion for the University of Warwick, said: “We are delighted to see our home city of Coventry scoring so highly in the 2022 QS Best Student Cities league table. To be the 5th best student city in the UK behind such metropolises as London, Edinburgh and Glasgow is a real achievement.
“I am especially pleased to see that Coventry has been recognised as a tolerant and inclusive place to study. As a university Warwick has put equality, diversity & inclusion at the heart of our community values.”
- See the full rankings here: https://www.topuniversities.com/city-rankings/2022
- QS Quacquarelli Symonds is the world’s leading provider of services, analytics, and insight to the global higher education sector. The QS World University Rankings portfolio, inaugurated in 2004, has grown to become the world’s most popular source of comparative data about university performance.
- The top five UK student cities according to the overall 2022 rankings are:
1. London (1st in world)
2. Edinburgh (12th in world)
3. Glasgow (28th in world)
4. Manchester (30th in world)
5. Coventry (42nd in world)
- The top five UK cities for student mix are:
1. Coventry (2nd in world)
2. Edinburgh (4th in world)
3. London (5th in world)
4. Newcastle Upon Tyne (13th in world)
5. Leicester (17th in world)
Media Relations Manager