Nobel Laureate Professor George Akerlof and Rt Hon David Willetts MP will be among the many distinguished speakers at the 11th annual Warwick Economics Summit next month.
Warwick Economics Summit is the second largest student-run academic conference in Europe and it will take place from February 17 February until Sunday 19 February 2012. It brings together some of the most revered speakers in the realms of Economics. Politics and International Development and allows delegates to learn about and discuss current issues through these spheres.
The Summit has grown in both size and reputation since the inaugural Summit in 2001. The audience consists of 200 Warwick and 200 non-Warwick students from top Universities around the world such as MIT and Princeton.
Co-coordinator Stela Bonifacic said. "We are constantly amazed by the number of universities and countries represented at the Summit. Last year. there were students from 56 universities in 17 countries including the United States. Brazil and Russia".
In previous years. the Summit has also attracted some truly inspiring speakers. Nobel Laureate Professor John F Nash visited in 2005. Professor Ewald Dowotny. Governor of the NationalBank of Austria in 2009 and more recently Rt Hon Alistair Darling MP spoke as Chancellor of the Exchequer in 2010.
This year's line up of distinguished speakers promises to be one of the best yet and includes Nobel Laureate Professor George Akerlof, bestselling author of The Armchair Economist Professor Steven Landsburg, Rt Hon David Willetts MP, UK Minister of State for Universities and Science and Lamido Sanusi, Governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria.
Co-coordinator Winston Yap said: "This year's speakers are truly inspiring. This is only the second time in the history of the Summit that a Nobel Laureate will be visiting and we are extremely excited by this prospect. We are sure our delegates will enjoy the wide-ranging nature of the topics covered".
During the weekend there are also seminars, a panel debate and networking sessions with sponsors, allowing delegates get the most out of the weekend. The social highlight of the weekend is the Summit Ball- where all 400 delegates are treated to a three course meal and entertainment throughout the night. This is a perfect opportunity for students from around the world to get to know each other in a more informalevent.
The Summit is organised by a diligent team of 45 students who are looking forward to welcoming speakers and students from around the world to the University of Warwick.
Warwick's Vice Chancellor Professor Nigel Thrift said "Warwick Economics Summit is a fantastic event that the University is proud to host. We are delighted to have speakers of this calibre on our campus".
Warwick Economics Summit is proud to be supported by the Economics Department of the University of Warwick. Sponsors include RBS, Deloitte, PwC. Bloomberg and Barclays Capital.
Note to Editors:
1. When publishing features about the above event online, please provide a link to our official website:
2. Tickets for non-Warwick students are on sale now from £35 or £85 to include accommodation. There are few external tickets remaining. Tickets for Warwick students go on sale in January 2012 from £26. Please see our website for details.
List of confirmed speakers for Warwick Economics Summit 2012
• NobelLaureate Professor George Akelof • John O'Sullivan. Britain Economics Editor. The Economist
• Bestselling Author Professor Steven Landsburg • Baroness Vadera. former government minister
• Rt Hon David Willetts MP • Charles Seaford. New Economics Foundation
• Lamido Sanusi. Governor of the CentralBank of Nigeria • Dr Johannes Abeler. University of Oxford
• Dr Adam Posen. Monetary Policy Committee • Professor Abhinay Muthoo. University of Warwick
• PaulOrmerod. leading British economist • Professor Sascha Becker. University of Warwick