The newly refurbished Language Centre at the University of Warwick hosted a special awards ceremony last week in a bid to recognise the growing importance of languages in business.
The Investors in Languages Awards recognise the achievements of businesses and employees who have embraced the challenges of acquiring additional language and intercultural skills to support their organisation.
Professor Lord Kumar Bhattacharyya, Founder and Head of Warwick Manufacturing Group, presented the awards at the ceremony which took place on Friday 11 December.
Winners were chosen from two categories: Investor in Languages and Language Champion. The Investor in Languages Award is chosen by the Business Language Team and given to the business which most recognises the importance of using the language of the client, and which invests in the skills development of their employees. The Language Champion is chosen by their tutor for being an enthusiastic and motivated learner and for supporting the learning of others.
Teresa MacKinnon, Senior Tutor in Business Language and e-learning (Language Centre) and Co-ordinator of the Investors in Languages Awards, said:
“We are looking forward to recognising the tremendous hard work and commitment shown by those in hectic business roles as they acquire language and intercultural skills with the Language Centre. We would also like to showcase those dynamic companies who realise the significance of international competence to their business operation.
“As Nelson Mandela once famously said, ‘If you talk to a man in a language he understands, that goes to his head. If you talk to him in his language, that goes to his heart.’ Business relationships are the backbone of business success.”
Notes to editors
- The Investors in Languages Awards took place on Friday, 11th December 2009 in the Humanities Building
- Partner companies E.ON UK, Agco, ThyssenKrupp, Cherwell and Gestamp were among those on the guest list
- Professor Lord Kumar Bhattacharyya presented the awards to partner companies and their employees – a continental breakfast was provided
- The event was followed by a presentation and the official opening of the newly refurbished Language Centre
- Further information can be found at: Investors in Languages
For more information contact:
Natalie Field, Assistant Press Officer
University of Warwick, Communications Office, Kirby Corner Road, Coventry, CV4 8UW
Tel: +44 (0)24 7657 5601 Mobile/Cell: +44 (0)7824 541 142