- Warwick has a small number of places available in clearing in the German Studies Department in 2016. Our clearing hotline number is 024 7653 3544 and it will open at 8am on Thursday 18th August.
The Universiy of Warwick has been ranked as the 5th best university for German by the Daily Telegraph
Citing a high level of student satisfaction, the Telegraph said that: "The degree itself is flexible, with a wide range of subjects that students can combine with German, and many modules to choose from throughout the course."
Why study German at Warwick?
You’ll be learning in a friendly and supportive environment, taught by people who are as passionate about your subject(s) as you are. German*, Italian Studies and French** ranks top of the Russell Group for “Staff have made the subject interesting” in the National Student Survey 2016. We are a multilingual, globally-engaged School, large enough to provide a wide range of academic, social and cultural opportunities, and small enough to provide a friendly base where students and staff can work together inside and outside the classroom. Students can also access a range of wellbeing services, including their personal tutor, staff-student liaison committee members and counsellors on campus. As well as studying one or more languages to an advanced level, you’ll explore the literature, culture, history and politics of the countries where those languages are spoken.
• We offer a great deal of flexibility. Choose from a wide range of options: single honours, major/minor and joint degrees to combine your study of language and culture with other subjects including politics and international studies, English, economics, film, history, linguistics, theatre studies, classics and history of art. You can also study three languages if you wish, including some of our languages ab initio. You can choose two major languages from French, German, Italian or Spanish, and your minor language from Arabic, Chinese, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Portuguese, Russian or Spanish.
• Gain valuable experience spending a year abroad on an academic placement at one of our carefully-chosen partner universities, on a work placement or working as a language assistant teaching English. Our students have undertaken placements across the globe, in Europe, the Caribbean, North and South America. If you’re studying more than one language, you can split your time between two countries. The School, together with the Study Abroad team and our dedicated Careers Services, provides ongoing support before, during, and after the year abroad, ensuring that you make the best out of your experience both academically and personally.
• We regularly refresh our modules and degree courses to ensure that they are fresh, effective and challenging. Staff work at the cutting edge of their fields, which means you will always benefit from the latest knowledge, teaching methods and resources. In the REF (Research Excellence Framework) 2014, our research outputs were ranked 5th in the UK, with 79.7% of our publications ranked at 4* or 3*.
• You’ll have the chance to join our student-run language societies. They regularly organise film screenings, social events, trips, quizzes and other activities. The societies also organise mentoring for first-years, with more experienced students sharing their valuable insights. Our students are also involved in One World Week, which celebrates international diversity on campus.
• We offer outstanding facilities for undergraduate linguists, including the University Language Centre and the Transnational Resources Centre (TRC), which gives you exclusive access to a suite of multimedia rooms and a library of almost 4000 films in French, German, Italian, Spanish and Portuguese.
10 August 2016
Tom Frew - Senior Press and Media Relations Manager
E: a dot t dot frew at warwick dot ac dot uk
T: +44 (0) 7785433155