Trained at Brighton Art School and the Slade where he became interested in printmaking. In 1951 he began a teacher training course but left to work in a commercial pottery in Cookham. In 1954 he started a pottery department at an art school in Baghdad, and upon his return he set up a kiln in Essex. In 1954 he became Head of Ceramics at Camberwell. He rarely worked on the wheel, preferring to develop techniques of slab building. In 1976 he had an exhibition at the British Craft Centre which Auld felt was not a success and he stopped potting.