This guide explains the use of groups in Moodle and is aimed at users with editing rights of spaces who want to enable students to work more effectively as groups.
When and why to use groups and groupings
Groups and groupings are used to split students into smaller or larger groups to view resources or work together on an activity so that there is no need to create a separate activity for each group - instead, a single activity is configured to be a group-based activity.
- Using activities with groups and groupings
- Groups can be added into larger groupings
- Groups can be used to restrict access to activities and section
Students can be assigned to one or more groups. Alternatively, you can let students choose for themselves by adding a group choice activity.
If you already have Tabula Small Groups setup for a module, then your departmental Learning Technologist or the Academic Technology team can help you set up the Tabula small group sync in Moodle.
Create a group
- Open the action menu from the gear icon at the top right of the Moodle space.
- Select 'More' from the drop-down menu.
- Select 'Groups' from the 'Users' tab.
- Click on 'Create group' to open the group creation page and complete the following fields:
- Group name - Give the group a name that the students will recognise or that makes sense in the context of the Moodle space.
- Group description - This is optional, but it may be useful to describe what this group is to be used for or who is a member of it in order to remind yourself and help distinguish between groups when there is a larger number.
- New picture - This is optional but may be useful in distinguishing groups or in creating a group identity.
- Click 'Save changes' to save the group. You will be returned to the group management page where you can add and remove users from groups.
- Select the group that you wish to edit. This will show you a list of the current members (if any).
- Click 'Add/remove users' to add or remove participants. This will open the Add/remove users page.
- Select the course participants (on the right) that you would like to add to this group and click on 'Add' in the centre.
- Click on 'Back to groups' when you have added all the relevant members to the group. The page will update to show the students now in that group.
- Click through the groups on the left to see the list of participants allocated to each one.
- Introduction to managing course participants
- Make your course visible to students
- Check participants
- Enrolment methods and managing access permissions
- Enrol participants using Warwick auto-enrolment
- Manually enrol participants onto a Moodle space
- Roles and their functions in Moodle
- Switch to another role
- Create groups
- Create groupings
- Using group mode with activities
- Enable activity completion
- Mark activity completion manually
- Track activity completion
- Course completion
- Course participation
- Introduction to structuring your course
- Choose or change the format of your course
- Add a course header
- Add a course description
- Add a block
- Move or delete a block
- Manage sections within a Moodle space
- Add, move, delete or hide a section
- Restrict access to sections and activities
- Using tags in Moodle
- Introduction to assessment and feedback
- Create and grade a submission using a rubric
- Use a marking workflow for assignments
- Allocate markers to specific submissions
- Create a fail / pass scale
- Provide grades and feedback for individual assignments
- Check the status of submissions
- Hide or show grades and feedback
- Create a custom certificate
- Create and manage badges
- Introduction to eStream
- Access your eStream content
- Uploading videos to eStream
- Edit videos in eStream
- Edit video thumbnail
- Uploading a closed captions (subtitles) file to eStream
- Add eStream videos to Mahara
- Sharing eStream videos to Moodle
- Sharing an eStream video with a link
- Setup a video assignment in Moodle