A multi-line text box is for questions requiring more detailed replies than a single-line text box.
- Go to the form page you want to edit.
- Select Edit > Edit formsbuilder page or Edit this form from the bottom of the form. A list of edit options will appear on the left hand side of the form.
- Select the second option under the Add a text box section - a multi-line text box.
The Add/Edit a multi-line text box edit screen will appear:
- Enter a Field name to be used in submission results. You will see this field is starred in red. This means this is a compulsory field and you will not be able to save the field until this is added. If the field name is self-explanatory, this can double as the label.
- Enter a Label for the text box visible to the user. Here you can provide detailed instructions for the user. If you leave the Label blank, then the Field name will be used.
- Enter the Width of the box. The width of the box can be set according to your needs. The default is set to 25. Some numeric value must be put in this starred field.
- Enter the number of Rows required. The default is set to 5 rows. Again it is a starred field so a numeric value is required.
- To limit the number of characters a person can enter, type the number of characters in the Character limit box. (The default maximum number of permitted characters is 4,000.)
- Enter any Prefilled text. You can use the arrow icon in the bottom right hand side of the box to drag and drop the box out to a wider size.
- If you require the Label/instruction box on top check this box. The default is that the label or instruction goes to the side.
- If you require the text box to be a Required field, check the this box. This will red star the field and prevent the user from continuing if they haven't completed the field.
- Decide if you want this field Only visible to editors.
- Select the Save button.
You will see that your new item has appeared on the form, along with a set of edit tool icons just to the left of the item, to enable you to perform the editing actions.
The cross allows for deleting an item, the up and down arrow keys will allow you to move each item up and down one field at a time, and the edit icon allows you to edit the item directly without having to go back into the form editing section.
If you want to view the form, rather than add further elements, Select the Done button, which is in the top right hand corner of the page.
You will see that in the bottom right hand corner, there are a series of dots. You or the user can use this drag-out tool to drag and drop the box to a bigger size to view the text in the box.
Related help articles
Email webteam at warwick dot ac dot uk
How to report a problem