Use the text box question type for participants to enter a short answer.
- Go to your quiz page.
- Go to Edit > Edit quizbuilder page.
Under Add a question, select Textbox. The Add/Edit a textbox question page appears:
- In the Question name box, enter a name to help you identify the question in submissions – for example, question1. Participants do not see it on the quiz.
- Enter the question for the participant in the Question box.
Enter the Correct answer.
Tip: encourage the correct answer
Text questions can be challenging to write because they only work when you can predict reasonable responses. For example, ‘Name a day of the week that starts with T’ is a poor question because the answer can be ‘Tuesday’ or ‘Thursday’. A better question would be ‘Name a day of the week which begins with W’ because there is one correct answer.
However, you can reasonably expect a participant to enter ‘Wednesday’, ‘Weds’ or ‘Wed’. To accept all possible synonyms for an answer, enter them in the Correct answer box separated by the pipe character
Selecting the options in the following steps 7-9 can increase the chance of a participant's answer being accepted as correct.
- Optionally, to regard answers such as ‘Wed’ and ‘wed’ as both correct, select Ignore case. We recommend that you select the checkbox unless the answer specifically requires upper-case letters.
- Optionally, to remove commas, apostrophes, hyphens, full stops and quotation marks (single and double) from answers, select Strip punctuation. For example, when selected, the answer ‘Wed.’ is accepted even if you specify ‘Wed’ in Correct answer.
- Optionally, choose whether to Ignore order of answers. For example, if you ask ‘What two days of the week begin with T?’ and select Ignore order, the answers ‘Tuesday Thursday’ and ‘Thursday Tuesday’ are both accepted.
- Optionally, enter any feedback to show the participant when they submit correct and wrong answers.
- Select Save.
- When you have finished editing the quiz, select Done.
Email webteam at warwick dot ac dot uk
How to report a problem