You can schedule changes to a page to publish at a specific time in the future instead of immediately. This feature is useful for cases such as:
- publishing lecture notes on a module web page automatically after the appropriate lecture takes place
- publishing problem sheet answers automatically after a submission deadline
- preparing notes and lecture material in advance (say, during vacation), and scheduling changes for the appropriate time during the term; you can schedule multiple changes to the same page
Note: if you want to a link to a file – for example, a Word document of lecture notes – as part of a scheduled change, you must upload the file first.
There are three types of change you can schedule:
- Content: centre, right-hand and surrounding content
- Page properties: changing visibility of the page
- Permissions: limit or relax page permissions
Note: you need admin permissions for the page concerned to schedule a change. Once an administrator has created the change, they can define an editor to update the same page, if necessary.
There are two parts to scheduling a change:
- Specify the scheduled change details – the description, owner, date and time
- Prepare the content, page properties or permissions that will change
Specify the scheduled change details
- Browse to the page you want to change.
- Go to Edit > More.
- Under Manage content, select Schedule changes. You can see a list of any existing changes scheduled for the page.
- Select Create new set of changes.
Enter a description of the change. Give enough information for others to understand what the change covers:
- By default, the person who schedules the change is the Change owner. This person appears in the scheduled changes screen. If you wish, you can choose a different person to be the change owner. This is useful if you want someone else to be able to edit the content of the scheduled change. Note that the change owner is the person who is notified when the scheduled change occurs.
- Specify the date and time to publish your change. There are five defined times to choose from: 4am, 8am, 12 noon, 4pm and 8pm.
- Select Create scheduled change. You can see a summary of the scheduled change details.
You now need to define the actual changes to the content, properties or permissions themselves.
Define the changes to content, properties or permissions
To make changes to the centre, right-hand or surrounding content, select the appropriate link under Possible changes:
- Edit the page content as normal – you can preview the result.
When you've finished editing the content, select Publish. You can see the change listed under Included changes:
- To change page properties or permissions, under Possible changes select Change the page permissions or properties.
- In the Add or remove users box, specify the person or web group to update and the type of permission change (view, edit or admin).
Next, select one of the four buttons:
- Add permission to this page only.
- Add permission to this page, and all sub-pages and files.
- Remove permission from this page only.
- Remove permission from this page, and all sub-pages and files.
- You can also change the page's visibility in your site navigation and the page's visibility to search engines. (Un)select the checkboxes as needed, then select the apply button. Your specified changes are shown in the right-hand column. Once you've finished specifying the changes, select Done.
- You can now see the full list of scheduled changes. Once you've finished, select Done at the top right.
Back in the edit section, you should see an information bar describing the scheduled change. There's also a clock icon next to any aspects of the page (for example, content, properties or permissions) that are scheduled to change:
Email webteam at warwick dot ac dot uk
How to report a problem