I am a PhD student at the University of Warwick and my research focuses on transition and socialisation in sporting and higher education settings.
I am currently working on a cross-disciplinary project which is supervised by Dr Jo Angouri and Dr Kieran File. My research is funded by the Economics and Social Research Council.
The project seeks to explore how first year male university students transition to university, and the role of varsity sports teams in this transition.The primary goal of the research is to better understand how new students/team members are socialised according to expectations of (masculine) gender performance in varsity sports team settings.
- MSc in Intercultural Communication for Business (Distinction), University of Warwick, UK.
- BA in English Language and Linguistics (First), University of Wolverhampton, UK.
- Institute of Advanced Study ECF (Early Career Fellowship), University of Warwick, 2019-20.
Conference Presentations (selected)
- Third Annual Football Collective Conference, Hampden Park, UK. Lads, belonging and commitment: Rethinking Masculinity in a British University Football Team.
- Sociolinguistics Symposium 22, University of Auckland, New Zealand. "...they just understand football in a different way": Investigating transition and socialisation in university sport
- Language, Migration and Translation: Public Summit and Conference, University of Warwick. Joining the Game: Critical Reflections on Collecting Interview Data in Elite and Professional Football.
- 20th Warwick International Conference in Applied Linguistics, Coventry. "It's not the home grown players and the others, it's everyone": Acculturation and Identity in Elite Sports Teams.
- 5th i-Mean Conference, University of the West of England, Bristol. Narratives of Sports Migration
- 8th Sport and Society, Imperial College, London. Narratives of Sports Migration: Acculturation through the Eyes of Migrant Athletes, their Teammates, and Coaches.
- Second Annual Football Collective Conference, University of Limerick, Ireland. “…they just understand football in a different way”: Investigating sports team adjustment through player narratives.
- Doing Intercultural research and training in Sport. University of East Anglia, UK. (2019).
- Player narratives, flashpoint stories, and team discourses: Employing narrative as a tool for understanding transition. Kings College London, UK. (2019).
- Banter, Racism & Acculturation: Intercultural dynamics in team sports. SIETAR UK. London. (2017).
- Interconnections Between Culture and Behaviour: Interdisciplinary Perspectives. February 2016, Warwick University
- 19th Warwick Postgraduate International Conference in Applied Linguistics. June 2016, Coventry
- ESRC PGR Conference. June 2016, Liverpool
- Leadership & Diversity in Organisations. September 2016, Canterbury
- Sport, Culture and Communication Research Group (SCCRG). University of Warwick, UK.
- Migration, Identity and Translation Network (MITN). University of Warwick, UK; Monash University, Australia.
- LGBT+ Research network. Loughborough University/Sport England, UK.
Room 1.100 Social Sciences Building