Samaneh Zandian got her PhD in ELT and Applied Linguistics in November 2015 at Centre for Applied Linguistics, University of Warwick. She began her postgraduate research study in October 2011 after graduating with distinction from the Centre for Applied Linguistics’ MA program in English Language Teaching. She was also a research assistant in a project at this center which investigates the predictive validity of TOEFL iBT ® scores and their use in informing policy in a UK university setting. Before moving to England in 2010, she was a language teacher in Iran for 8 years, teaching English to different age groups.
Samaneh Zandian is interested in the processes of adaptation in relation to children sojourners. She is also interested in exploring the advantages and limitations of using innovative participatory research methodologies with children.
Children’s Experiences and Perceptions of Adaptation and Intercultural Encounters
Globalization has brought a wide range of cultures into close contact; consequently, intercultural interaction has become a common feature of modern life. The stress and coping approach sees cultural contacts as a series of stress-provoking life changes that require coping responses. Children as part of societies are no exception in this regard. This study aims to explore some aspects of Iranian children’s perception of intercultural encounters and transitional experiences. Findings of this research can provide unique and vital data for educational purposes in this country.
- Pinter, A. & Zandian, S. (2015). '"I thought it would be tiny little one phrase that we said, in a huge big pile of papers"- children’s reflections on their involvement in participatory research'. Qualitative Research 15/2: 235-250.
- Zandian, S. (2015). Migrant literature and teaching English as an international language in Iran. In C. Kennedy (Ed.), English language teaching in the Islamic Republic of Iran: Innovations, trends and challenges (pp.113- 120). London: British Council. http://www.britishcouncil.ir/en/teach/English-Language-Teaching-Iran
- Zandian, S. (2014). 'Developing intercultural education in Iran: starting with young foreign language learners'. In J. Enever, E. Lindgren, & S. Ivanov (Eds.), Conference Proceedings from Early Language Learning: Theory and practice in Umeå 14 June 2014 (pp.138-142). Umeå: Umeå Universitet.
- Pinter, A. & Zandian, S. (2014). '"I don’t ever want to leave this room" - researching with children', ELT Journal, 68(1), 64-74.
- Zandian, S. (2013). 'Participatory activities, research and language classroom practice'. In M. Allstrom & A. Pinter (Eds.), English for Young Learners-Forum: Proceedings from the Conference in Uppsala 19 June 2012 (pp.133-142).Uppsala: Uppsala Universitet.
- Zandian, S. (2013). Children's experience and perception of adaptation and intercultural encounters. In T. Pattison (Ed.), IATEFL 2012: Glasgow Conference Selections (pp.120-123). Canterbury: IATEFL.
- Zandian, S. (2011). 'A personal reflection on the impact of researching children on my own professional development'. ELTED Journal, 14, 32-36.
- Assi. M. & S. Zandian (2010). 'Analysis of the usage of basic vocabulary in Persian translational and non-translational children’s literature'. Translation Studies, 8(32), 87-100.
- AILA World Congress 2017, Universidade Federal do Rio de Janeiro, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, 23-28/07/2017.
Oral Presentation: 'Fostering Intercultural Understanding in English Language Classrooms: Context of Iran'
- The Young Language Learners Symposium 2016, University of Oxford, 6-8/07/2016.
Oral Presentation: 'Acting as researchers: EAP children developing their English skills'
Presenters: Annamaria Pinter and Samaneh Zandian
- 50th Annual International IATEFL Conference, Birmingham, UK, 14/04/2016.
Panel: 'Current issues in English language teaching in Iran'
Presenters: Chris Kennedy, Shahrzad Ardavani, Parvaneh Tavakoli, Samaneh Zandian, Susan Heidarishad.
- Guest Speaker, Department of Education, University of Bath, UK, 10/02/2016.
'Children’s perceptions of cross-cultural encounters: An exploration into an Iranian context'
- 48th Annual Meeting of BAAL, Aston University, Birmangham, UK, 3-5/09/2015.
Oral Presentation: 'Young learners in Iran and their perceptions of intercultural interaction: Some implications for language classrooms'
- Global Governance GRP PhD Conference, University of Warwick, Coventry, UK, 13/07/2015.
Panel: 'Education in Crisis Situations'
Presenters: Erkan Külekçi, Samaneh Zandian, Reem Doukmak
- Iran and the West: Converging Perspectives, University of Warwick, Coventry, UK, 1–3/07/2015.
Oral Presentation:'"Miss, everyone thinks it’s very nice there, but is it really?" - Young learners in Iran and their perceptions of transition and intercultural interaction'
- iMean 2015, University of Warwick, Coventry, UK, 9-1/04/2015.
Oral Presentation: "‘We can talk with them in English. It’s the main language, and everyone should know it!’- Young language learners in Iran and their perceptions of intercultural interaction"
- 14th IALIC Conference 2014, University of Aveiro, Aveiro, Portugal, 28-30/11/2014.
Oral Presentation: 'A large diaspora abroad and millions of refugees at home: Developing intercultural competence in Iran'
- Downscaling Culture: Revisiting Intercultural Communication International Conference, Cardiff University,Cardiff, UK, 18-19/09/2014.
Oral Presentation: "‘I think we- children never thought about such things!’_ about time to introduce intercultural education in Iran"
- 47th Annual Meeting of BAAL, University of Warwick, Coventry,UK, 4-6/09/2014.
Oral Presentation: 'Re-examining the ethics in researching with children across cultures'
Presenters: Annamaria Pinter, Samaneh Zandian, and Harry Kuchah Kuchah
- 14th International Conference on Language and Social Psychology (ICLASP14), Honolulu, Hawai'i, USA, 19-22/06/2014.
Oral Presentation: 'Intercultural education and language classrooms in Iran: focusing on young learners'
- Early Language Learning: Theory and Practice in 2014, Umeå university, Umeå, Sweden, 12-14/06/2014.
Oral Presentation: 'Developing intercultural education in Iran: starting with young foreign language learners'
- 46th Annual Meeting of BAAL, Heriot-Watt University, Edinburgh, Scotland, 5-7/09/2013.
Colloquium New kids on the block: issues and challenges in teaching English to young learners
Oral Presentation:"Researching Children to Child Researchers"
Speakers: Annamaria Pinter & Samaneh Zandian
- 16th Warwick PG Conference in Applied Linguistics, University of Warwick, Coventry, UK, 25-26/06/2013.
Oral presentation: 'Young learners in Iran and their understanding of intercultural issues'
- Symposia Iranica, St. Andrews University, Scotland, UK, 13-14/04/2013.
Oral Presentation: 'Iranian children and intercultural encounters'
- 15th Warwick PG Conference in Applied Linguistics, University of Warwick, Coventry, UK, 26-27/06/2012.
Oral presentation: "Some considerations in research with children"
- English for Young Learners-Forum 2012- Uppsala, Sweden, 19/06/2012.
Oral presentation: 'A personal reflection on the impact of researching children on my own professional development'
- 46th IATEFL Annual Conference and Exhibition – Glasgow, Scotland, 19-23/03/2012.
Oral presentation: "Children's experience and perception of adaptation and intercultural encounters"
- TEFL Forum ‘Linking lives and classrooms for Language teaching and learning’, University of Birmingham, UK, 25/11/2011.
Poster presentation: "Given that English is an international language, is there any role for immigrant literature in teaching?"
- 14th Warwick PG Conference in Applied Linguistics, University of Warwick, Coventry, UK, 28-29/06/2011.
Poster presentation: 'Given that English is an international language, is there any role for immigrant literature in teaching?'
- The 5th Postgraduate TS Conference on Sociocultural Studies in Translation, Allameh Tabataba’i University, Tehran, Iran, 14/12/2009.
Paper presentation: 'Domestication or censorship! In translation of children’s literature: a case study'
- ELLTA Meeting, Centre for Applied Linguistics, University of Warwick, UK, 28/11/2012.
'Children’s understating of intercultural encounters and transitional experiences: a report on the Ddata collection process'
PhD. in English Language Teaching and Applied Linguistics, 2015, University of Warwick, Coventry, Uk
MA. in English Language Teaching, 2011, University of Warwick, Coventry, UK
MA. in English Translation,2010, Allameh Tabataba’i University, Tehran, Iran
BA. in French Literature, 2006, University of Tehran, Tehran, Iran
AILA Solidarity Award to attend the AILA 2017 World Congress.
2016 Doctoral Researcher Award (DRA)- Honourable Mention Award in category of Management & Social Sciences offered by Association of British Turkish Academics (ABTA).
IALIC conference scholarship 2014 offered by International Association of Languages and Intercultural Communication (IALIC).
The Inaugural Tamar Murachver Award for Most Outstanding Student Paper 2014 offered by International Association of Language and Social Psychology (IALSP) in 14th International Conference on Language and Social Psychology (ICLASP14).
Chancellor's International Scholarship 2012 offered by the University of Warwick