- Chiu, A. (2021) Challenges and complexities of imagining nationhood: the case of Hong Kong’s naturalized footballers, Sport in Society,
- Wan, K.-M. et al. (2020) ‘Fighting COVID-19 in Hong Kong: The Effects of Community and Social Mobilization’, World Development, 134.
- Ho, L. K.-K. and Chiu, A. (2016) ‘“Indigenous” or “All Stars”: Discourses on “Team Hong Kong” in a FIFA World Cup Tournament’, International Journal of the History of Sport, 33(11), pp. 1226–1241.
I am a Ph.D. student in Sociology at Warwick. I graduated with BA (Hons) in Liberal Studies Education at Hong Kong Institute of Education (HKIEd) in 2014, and I did an MA in Sociology at Warwick in 2014-2015. I studied the relations between students' direct and indirect sports participation and their social class background, and how sports act as a form of cultural capital in the university context. After my master's studies, I worked as a project research assistant and guest lecturer in the Department of Social Sciences at The Education University of Hong Kong. I am also a guest editor for the Hong Kong football website Offside.hk.
I am interested in the Sociology of sports, social stratification, Hong Kong Studies, race and ethnicity, and nationalism. My current research focuses on nationalism, national identity, and football, using the case of naturalized football players in the Hong Kong representative team. I explored how these footballers make sense of their shift of national identity/identities, how their presence as the embodiment of Hong Kong was being perceived by local fans, and how Chineseness and Hong Kongness are being negotiated and re-imagined in this specific socio-political context. My doctoral research is supervised by Prof. John Solomos.
HO, Lawrence Ka-ki, CHIU, Andy (2018). ‘Indigenous’ or ‘All Stars’: Discourses on ‘Team Hong Kong’in a FIFA World Cup Tournament. Bridges, Brian & Chu, Marcus, P., The Sports Development of Hong Kong and Macau: New Challenges after the Handovers (71-86). UK: Routledge.
- ‘Black, White and Yellow “Chinese” on the Pitch: Chinese National Identity in Hong Kong’s Naturalized Football Players’, in The 20th Annual Conference by Hong Kong Sociological Association (HKSA) Dec 2018
- ‘Black and White Chinese on the Pitch: Chinese National Identity in Hong Kong’s Naturalized Football Players’, in Nations and Nationalisms: Theories, Practices and Methods by Loughborough University Nationalism Network (LUNN) in collaboration with ASEN Sep 2018
- ‘Indigenous’ versus ‘All Stars’: Discourse on the Team Hong Kong in a FIFA World Cup Tournament, in 2017 World Congress of Sociology of Sports by International Sociology of Sports Association (ISSA) June 2017
- ‘Indigenous’ versus ‘All Stars’: The Politics of Hong Kong Representation in International Soccer Tournaments, in Politics of migration and changing societies by Hong Kong Political Science Association (HKPSA) Nov 2016
a dot chiu at warwick dot ac dot uk