My research is primarily in the areas of discourse analysis and semiotics. I study how semiotics scholars experience the field of semiotics through the construction of different representations, imaginaries and narratives about the academic practice of semiotics, under which conditions they generate them, and what are the discourses they create. By using a narrative approach, I analyse different types of accounts in order to understand how the textual devices of positioning are indexical, i.e. how they index social roles, stances, and action as well as how people negotiate their identities in particular contexts of research interviews.
I intend to address the double indexicality of narratives by showing how respondents: 1) express different subjective perspectives from different biographical and non-biographical points and, 2) index multiple self-positions, emotions and evaluations of their communicative practices, and 3) construct representations and imaginaries about diverse discursive practices in the field of semiotics.
My PhD project is supervised by Johannes Angermuller.
Presentations in conferences
- (2018) Semiotics narrated or narrating semioticians? Contribution to the 2nd Conference Semiosis in Communication. Differences and Similarities. National University of Political Studies and Public Administration. Bucharest, Romania. June 2018
- (2018) Semiotics narrated? (Re)constructing the identities of semiotics scholars. Contribution to the 3e Journées d'étude: Les chercheurs et leurs pratiques: discours, savoirs, pouvoirs. École des Hautes Études en Sciences Sociales (EHESS). Paris, France. June 2018
- (2017) Similar roots. New relationships? Discourse analysis and semiotics. Contribution to the DiscourseNet Congress #2. University of Warwick. Coventry, United Kingdom. September 2017
- (2017) Protesting the intolerable. Affective dimension from a transdisciplinary perspective. Contribution to the 13th World congress of the International Association for Semiotic Studies. Kaunas University of Technology. Kaunas, Lithuania. June 2017.
- (2016) The animal threads among the Wixaritari. Contribution to the Conference Zoosemiotics 2.0. Forms and Policies of Animality. University of Palermo. Palermo, Italy. December 2016.
- (2016) Communicating academic knowledge. An observation on the academic practices of semiotics. Contribution to the 1st Conference Semiosis in Communication. Knowing and learning. National University of Political Studies and Public Administration. Bucharest, Romania. June 2016.
- (2015) Popular discontent as a catalyst device for unpredictability. Ayotzinapa: “the Mexican moment”. Contribution to the 2015 Tartu Summer School of Semiotics/ IX Conference of the Nordic Association of Semiotics. University of Tartu. Tartu, Estonia. August 2015. Presentation awarded with a Graduate student grant by the NASS committee.
- (2014) Narcotraffic in the light of cultural semiotics and complexity theory. Contribution to the 12th World congress of the International Association for Semiotic Studies. New Bulgarian University. Sofia, Bulgaria. September 2014.
- (2013) Fraude electoral, instancia del secreto, Wikileaks y los archivos de México. Contribution to the 2nd GESC International Congress: Secreto y transparencia. Wikileaks y otros cambios en la semiosfera mediática. Fundación Ortega-Marañón. Madrid, Spain. November 2013.
- (2013) Semiótica, cultura y aculturación. Contribution to the seminar "Ciencia, Arte, Narrativa e Interculturalidad". Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México. Mexico City, Mexico. March 2013.
- (2013). La Escuela de Tartu: tendencias actuales. Contribution to the seminar " Análisis del Discurso y Semiótica de la Cultura. Escuela Nacional de Antropología e Historia. Mexico City, Mexico. March 2013.
- (2011) La diversidad lingüística latinoamericana y el español del siglo XXI. Contribution to the workshop "La primavera de las letras hispánicas-Hispaania kultuurikevad". University of Tartu. Tartu, Estonia. April 2011.
- (2018). With Julieta Haidar. Narcoculture? Narco-trafficking as a semiosphere of anticulture. In Semiotica. Journal of the International Association for Semiotic Studies. Volume 2018, Issue 222, Pages 133–162, ISSN 0037-1998, Berlin. De Gruyter. DOI:10.1515/sem-2016-0151
- (2017). Book chapter. The animal threads among the Wixaritari. In Gianfranco Marrone (Ed.) Zoosemiotica 2.0. Forme e Politiche dell'Animalità. Edizioni Museo Pasqualino. Pp. 95-108. ISBN 978-88-9703526-8
- (2017). Book review in Spanish: Reseña de Juri Lotman. The Unpredictable Workings of Culture. In Eikon. Journal on semiotics and culture. ISSN 2183-6426
- (2016). With Julieta Haidar. Narco-traffick in the light of cultural semiotics and complexity theory in New Semiotics. Between Tradition and Innovation: proceedings of the 12th World Congress of Semiotics, ed. K. Bankov, IASS Publications and NBU Publishing House, ISSN 2414-6862.
- (2013). On the semiotics of tea. In Chinese Semiotic Studies. Issue 9. Nanjing. June, 2013. 96-125 pp. ISSN 2198-9613
- (2013). Coming out of culture. Suggestions for the semiotic study of acculturation in migratory context. In Southern Semiotic Review. Vol. 1, Nº 1. ISSN 2202-2783.
- (2010). Esbozo de la semiosfera del té. In ENTRETEXTOS. Revista Electrónica Semestral de Estudios Semióticos de la Cultura. Nº 14-15-16. 1-34 pp. ISSN 1696-7356.
Conference and panel organisation
- (June 2018) Journées d'étude: Les chercheurs et leurs pratiques: discours, savoirs, pouvoirs (with Johannes Angermuller, Françoise Dufour and Marco Antonio Almeida Ruiz). École des Hautes Études en Sciences Sociales (EHESS), Paris. June 11-12, 2018
- (September 2017) DiscourseNet Congress #2 (DNC 2) - Interdisciplinary Discourse Studies: Theory and Practice (with Johannes Angermuller, Françoise Dufour, Sixian Hah, Tilly Harrison, Johannes Beetz, Michael Kranert, Ronny Scholz, Veit Schwab, Sue Wharton, Marta Wróblewska). University of Warwick, UK.
- (August 2015) Panel: The dialectics of predictable/unpredictable in cultural semiotic productions. 2015 Tartu Summer School of Semiotics/ IX Conference of the Nordic Association of Semiotics. University of Tartu. Tartu, Estonia.
- (January 2015) Winter School: "DiscourseNet Winter School. Doing research on academic, educational and intellectual discourses" (with Johannes Angermuller, Benno Herzog, Francesc Hernàndez, Ronny Scholz, Marta Wróblewska). University of Valencia (Spain).
- (May 2018). Qualitative Interviewing. "Methods of Discourse Analysis" doctoral training workshop by the Warwick ESRC Doctoral Training Centre, University of Warwick.
- (June, 2017). Working with interviews: discourse analysis & coding" – session for PhD students, organised by Migration, Identity, and Translation Network (MITN), session in parallel with students from the University of Bologna (Italy) and Monash University (Australia). University of Warwick.
- (May 2017). Qualitative interviewing. "Methods of Discourse Analysis" doctoral training workshop by the Warwick ESRC Doctoral Training Centre, University of Warwick.
Eduardo Chávez Herrera
The Centre for Applied Linguistics, Social Sciences Building University of Warwick. Coventry, CV4 7AL, UK
narratives and storytelling