The works include:
- Installing a new roundabout at the junction between University Road and Gibbet Hill Road by the Arts Centre.
- Library Road has been permanently closed at its junction with Gibbet Hill Road and is now only accessible to service vehicles or disabled drivers from University Road.
- Traffic calming measures including a raised granite table next to Radcliffe House and introduction of a 20mph speed zone between Benefactors and Scarman House.
- Reducing the width of the arms of the Scarman Road/Gibbet Hill Road/University Road roundabout to improve safety and pedestrian access.
- Constructing a right turn lane into Gibbet Hill campus.
- Changing the Gibbet Hill Road/ Kenilworth Road/Stoneleigh Road junction to a roundabout. There will be pelican crossings on both Kenilworth Road and Gibbet Hill road near the roundabout.
When will the works happen?
The most intensive part of the works will take place over the summer vacation (30 June - October 2014). However, works will continue after this.
What does this mean?
To enable the transformation of Gibbet Hill Road and surrounding areas, we have already implemented the following changes:
- Car parks 4 and 4a have been permanently closed.
- Car park 5 has been permanently closed to all but service and authorised vehicles.
- The Library Road junction with Gibbet Hill Road has been permanently closed. It is now 2-way, from University Road, for access, service and disabled vehicles only.
From Monday 30 June until October 2014:
Gibbet Hill Road from Cryfield cottages to Scarman roundabout is completely closed to all traffic. Gibbet Hill Road from the car park 2 roundabout to Cryfield cottages, and around University Road until the area just before Health Centre Road, is closed to traffic, with only buses, construction, service and emergency vehicles allowed access.
During this time, for all traffic other than emergency vehicles, buses and construction/service vehicles, this essentially means there will be no through route from one end of Gibbet Hill Road to the other. All traffic destined for central campus (University Road and its car parks, and Scarman Road) must enter campus via Kirby Corner roundabout (near Varsity). All traffic destined for Gibbet Hill campus, car park 2 roundabout and destinations off Leighfield Road, must enter campus via Kenilworth Road/Coventry Road and Gibbet Hill Road.
From early October to early November 2014:
The northbound lane of Gibbet Hill Road (from Gibbet Hill Campus to Kirby Corner Road) will be re-opened to all traffic apart from buses serving campus, which will continue diverting around campus as they have been over the summer.
From early November:
Gibbet Hill Road will be completely re-opened to all traffic.
At times, traffic lights will be in operation at the junction of Kenilworth Road/Coventry Road/Stoneleigh Road/Gibbet Hill Road to enable the construction of a new roundabout. At times, traffic lights will be in operation on Gibbet Hill Road next to the entrance to Gibbet Hill campus, to enable the construction of a new right-hand turning lane.
Arrangements during this period
If you're involved in any other events or visits to the campus that involve large numbers or use of coaches/buses, please email email@example.com to discuss the arrangements with us to make sure any necessary measures are put in place.