(Equivalent to level 7)
This module runs in Term 2, please also see French Language for Contemporary France for Term 1.
Advanced. LL251 French for Business - Advanced 2 should normally be considered a pre-requisite. The module is also offered to students who have lived in a French speaking country and/or have successfully completed a French 6-equivalent module or French Language for Contemporary France.
The module develops a high degree of competence in practical use of French in a business context. It combines analysis of a variety of issues related to business practices with further development of communicative skills to enable students to reach a high level of language proficiency. It enables students to identify key stages in a project and to operate effectively in professional contexts.
15 CREDITS, also available for 12 CREDITS.
One 2-hour language class each week for 9 weeks.
Students are reminded that 1 credit = 10 hours of study, therefore the minimum expected amount of study is 120 hours. A substantial amount of independent study is therefore required. Students can make use of Moodle to facilitate this.
Students can take part in the online exchange with the Université Clermont Auvergne, Clermont-Ferrand, France.
No textbook is required. Selected texts will be provided.
Alongside the acquisition of the language required to accomplish a wide range of communicative and professional tasks, accurately and fluently, will be the operational skills, socio-economic knowledge and ‘business culture’ insights essential to successful functioning in the world of work in a French-speaking environment
The module is:
- taught entirely in French.
- organised around building a Business Plan for a project in France, hence students complete tasks each week, after analysing needs, researching and finding reliable information, solving practical business problems.
- skills-based so the syllabus will draw on a variety of media, e.g. radio, television, newspapers, interview, blogs/forums, legal websites etc. to enable students to build and increase business knowledge and related language skills.
By the end of the module, students will be able to:
- develop a project and solve problems in French, having gained the confidence and linguistic knowledge necessary to function effectively on a day to day basis in a French company.
- demonstrate an enhanced proficiency in listening, speaking, reading and writing skills, with particular emphasis on business language and notions
- demonstrate ability to handle authentic materials, in any medium, in French.
By the end of the course, students should be able to perform at approximately Level C1+ Proficient user (operational proficiency) of the Common European Framework.