This module introduces theories and practices of management in the media, creative and cultural industries. The aim is first to introduce students to management models and tools adapted to the distinctive challenges and conditions of these sectors. The second aim is to have students recognise that the business of cultural and media production depends upon relationships and capabilities beyond the ability to create excellent content.
- Understand the distinctive challenges of managing projects and organisations in the cultural and media sector
- Understand the principal steps needed to develop a business plan for a cultural or media organisation
- Understand the distinctive challenges of marketing and strategy in the creative and media industries
- Reason critically based on reading academic and industry studies
- Construct theoretically and empirically informed arguments
- Work collaboratively with others in seminar discussions and group practice
- Present a professional pitch that demonstrates an enterprising spirit
Colbert, Francois (2007) Marketing Culture and the Arts 3rd edition, Montréal: HEC
Deuze, Mark and Prenger, Mirjam (ed.) (2018): Making Media (Amsterdam University Press)
Dyson.J.R (2010) Accounting for non-accounting students, Financial Times Prentice Hall, 2010. 8th ed.
Hewison.R, Holden.J & Jones.S (2010) All Together: A creative approach to organisational change, DEMOS
Lawrie, A. (2005): The Complete Guide to Business and Strategic Planning (Directory of Social Change)