Skip to main content

Frequently Asked Questions

About the Centre

Everything you need to know about the Centre, its courses and where your studies could take you.

MA Study

If you're considering studying for a Master's degree find answers to questions about entry requirements, term dates, your fellow students and more.

PhD Study

Your questions answered about PhD study.

Applying for a course

How does the applications process work? Your questions answered.

Life at Warwick 

Answers to questions on non-academic matters here.


About the Centre

What is the difference between a 'centre' and a department?

The Centre does not teach BA degrees or take undergraduates. It is devoted wholly to postgraduate teaching and research in the cultural sector and creative industries. It has four taught MA programmes, takes doctoral students (PhD students), and undertakes major research projects. We have over 1200 alumni from over 50 countries and they work in a wide variety of industries and organisations as well as running their own businesses.

Will courses at the Centre for Cultural and Media Policy Studies prepare me for a career?

Each of the four centre Master's courses are taught by people with experience in their respective sector of industry, and the course content is based on up to date knowledge of this sector. The courses are designed to combine the learning of skills which are important to professionals in the industry and the development of the student’s intellect and critical imagination. Many of our alumni have careers in arts and cultural administration, museums, exhibitions and curation, media and cultural production, media and digital product design, events co-ordination, marketing, branding and advertising, publishing, PR, communications and web development, public information, global communications, as well as research and analysis at PhD level.

MA study

What is a Master's Degree (an MA)?

In the UK, Europe and the USA, the Master's degree is an important qualification. It stands between a ‘bachelors’ level degree (the first major degree) and the doctoral degree (the highest level of degree: the PhD or equivalent). In 2015, the UK's Quality Assurance Agency (QAA) published 'Masters Degree Characteristics' which can be found here. Our courses use this as a benchmark and our graduates 'have in-depth and advanced knowledge and understanding of their subject informed by current practice, scholarship and research. This will include a critical awareness of current issues and developments in the subject and/or profession; critical skills; knowledge of professional responsibility, integrity and ethics; and the ability to reflect on their own progress as a learner.'

Why do an MA Degree?

On our Master’s degrees you develop your own intellectual and communication skills in a mature and international research environment; you obtain professional skills relevant to a specific sector of industry; and you learn how to solve complex problems by different methods of research and analysis.

What is different about the MA degrees in the Centre for Cultural and Media Policy Studies?

The Centre has built a unique reputation nationally and internationally for postgraduate teaching and research in this field. Our approach to postgraduate study combines practical application and academic rigour. Of course you will come here to improve your skills, make contacts and develop intellectually. But you will also come here to reconnect with the ideals and ideas which underpin your work. You will engage with real issues and problems, but you will also explore the principles and theories which lie behind them. You will be given the tools to achieve your professional and personal goals, together with the space to rethink the meaning and purpose of culture, creativity, policy and management.

How many students study on MA courses in the Centre for Cultural and Media Policy Studies?

There are between 25 - 30 students on each of the four taught Master's courses.

Where do students in the Centre for Cultural and Media Policy Studies come from?

You can expect to be part of a dynamic and international student community within the Centre. Current students are from the following countries: UK, France, Romania, Kazakhstan, Chile, Saudi Arabia, China, Germany, Greece, India, Barbados, Jamaica, Japan, Lebanon, Mexico, the Netherlands, Norway, Pakistan, Russia, South Korea, Taiwan, Italy, the USA and Canada. The Centre values its international composition, and the students benefit from interacting with people from different cultures and making friends and contacts from all over the world.

When does the course start?

A full-time MA in the Centre for Cultural and Media Policy Studies is a 12 month course and follows the general University term dates starting in early October and ending on September 30 the following year.  

When will I graduate?

Graduation for Master’s Degree students takes place towards the end of January each year unless you defer and choose to attend the summer graduation ceremony. Therefore, if you begin the course in October 2017 you will graduate in January 2019.

PhD Study

Am I able to continue and do doctoral studies for a PhD after I have completed my MA degree?

Yes: most students in the Centre head for careers in industry or other organisations, but a significant number also carry on with research. A doctorate (PhD) is the highest form of qualification, and is essential if you are heading for an academic career or a high level career in research and development in industry.

Is cultural policy studies the only subject available at doctoral level?

No: doctoral students in the Centre can study the various fields in which Centre staff have expertise: cultural policy, arts management, cultural theory, media business and policy, media theory, digital media, advertising and marketing and communication, museums and mangement, creativity, creative entrepreneurship and management, sustainability, social innovation and development etc. We have three different routes allowing you to graduate with a PhD in Cultural Policy Studies, PhD in Creative Industries or PhD in Media and Communication.

Applying for Masters courses at the Centre for Cultural and Media Policy Studies

How do I apply for a Masters course?

You should apply online through the Postgraduate Admissions Office: If you cannot, a hard copy of the application form can be sent to you by post. It will take longer to arrive and to process by post.

What qualifications do I need in order to apply?

You need a good standard of first degree. If you are a student from another country see the University's website for international applicants which will tell you how your qualifications relate to the UK education system:

Do I need to have studied the subject of the Master's degree before?

No. The Centre for Cultural and Media Policy Studies accepts students from a wide range of academic backgrounds. The most common backgrounds are arts, social sciences or business and management; students with experience in the subject (such as work experience) are always considered.

Is there a deadline for applications? When are applications considered?

The Centre considers applications as they are submitted. There is no deadline for submissions, but courses can often fill up by April or May. Sometimes, however, there are still places by June or July. If you are shortlisted for a place on the course you may be offered a place on a waiting list in case another offer holder withdraws. Please note that the deadline for making offers to international applicants is 31st July - this ensures that you will have sufficient time to secure your visa.

What information do I need to supply?

You will need

(i) a degree certificate, showing your past qualifications (you can be offered a place if you have not yet graduated, and supply your certificate later)

(ii) your transcripts, showing us the courses you have taken and the marks you have obtained

(iii) at least one academic reference from your University professors or teachers

(vi) evidence of English language proficiency if English is not your first language - for those applying from outside the UK this needs to be an IELTs test result of 7.0. You can find more information about English language requirements here.

(v) a personal statement telling us why you want to do this course and why you are suitable.

All this information should be sent to us in original document form to the Postgraduate Admissions Office. Incomplete applications can delay the selection process and you are advised to make sure you have all the necessary documentation together when you submit your application. You can find further advice on the Postgraduate Admissions Office website here:

What should I write in my personal statement?

It is very important that you think carefully about your personal statement and that you research the MA course you wish to apply for thoroughly. Look at its core modules and the option modules, consider the kind of past experience you will bring the course. How will you apply yourself and why do you want to study this course at Warwick. Why the Centre for Cultural and Media Policy Studies in particular? What are your career aspirations and how will this course assist you in achieving them? We are interested not only in your academic success but your work experience, internships, voluntary work, civic activities, creative flair and communicative abilities.

What level of English Language do I need?

For our Master’s degrees you should have B and B English (for accepted test scores please refer to ). However, we may also accept strong applications with an IELTS level of no less than 6.5 overall (or equivalent test score) with the condition of undertaking a pre-sessional English course in the Centre for Applied Linguistics at the University prior to the start of your course.

If my English is not at the required level, can I still apply to the course?

You may be offered a place to study ‘pre-sessional’ English courses before you begin your degree. The pre-sessional courses last 10 or 6 weeks. If you are in this position, it is important that you apply in good time as the Warwick pre-sessional English courses are usually full up by the end of May. You will find more information about the pre-sessional course here:

Will I need to attend an interview?

If you are a UK applicant short-listed for either an MA course or for PhD research you will usually be invited to attend an interview. If you are an overseas applicant for an MA course, you will not normally be required to attend an interview, although you may be invited to conduct an interview via Skype or to submit a piece of written work in support of your application. If you are an overseas applicant short-listed for PhD research, you will normally be required to attend an interview.

What is a 'Conditional Offer'?

A Conditional Offer means that the Centre has accepted your application, but you need to supply further documentation. This may be a reference (letter from your University professor) or it may be a qualification (certificate of a degree). If you have not yet graduated, your offer will remain ‘conditional’ until you have received your degree certificate and forwarded it to our Postgraduate Admissions Office.

What is an 'Unconditional Offer'?

If you receive an Unconditional Offer you are being offered a place on the course without any further requirement for documents or qualifications to be submitted. You must then proceed to pay the deposit in order to secure your place on the course.

Is there a deposit payment?

The deposit is £500. This is part of your course fee, not extra. You need to pay this in order to secure your place if you receive an offer (either conditional or unconditional). You must pay the deposit six weeks after receiving your formal offer of a place. You can pay by credit card, a link to the online payment form will be sent to you in your offer email.

Are there additional costs?

Aside from course fees, some postgraduate courses have additional costs. These are published by the Academic Registrar's Office here.

Life at Warwick

Where will I live when I am studying?

You can live either on campus or in the surrounding towns (such as Kenilworth or Royal Leamington Spa) or the City of Coventry (about 20 minutes away by bus). Campus accommodation is spacious and convenient and there is every possible amenity on the campus from a travel agents to the largest Arts centre outside London. See the Accommodation office website for details.