What is PathLAKE?
- £15 million has been awarded to create a unique data resource of pathology images and techniques, and help develop AI technologies for cancer diagnosis and personalised treatment.
- The Consortium will bring together researchers from universities, several university hospital trusts and leading AI/software business developers in the field to create a national Centre of ExcellenceLink opens in a new window in AI in pathology, that will be linked to five digitised NHS pathology labs.
- The technology will assist pathologists in diagnosing cancer more efficiently and selecting the optimal treatment for cancer patients in a much quicker timescale.
Focus at Warwick
Here at Warwick, our aim is to focus on the:
- Construction of a world-class pathology image data lake with annotated pathology images and linked clinical outcome data
- Integration of the PathLAKE data lake with data ponds at partner hospital sites
- Building of PathLAKE Analytics Engine linked with the data lake, bringing the 'compute to the data'
- Research and Development (R&D) of cutting-edge AI algorithms for early diagnosis and personalised treatment of cancer
- Testing and validation of the AI algorithms
We are indebted to many organisations for funding, resources, expertise and knowledge:
- Universities of Warwick, Nottingham, Oxford, and Queen's Belfast
- University Hospitals Coventry & Warwickshire NHS Trust, Oxford University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust, and Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust
- Industrial Strategy Challenge Fund and UK Research & Innovation
- Philips Digital & Computational Pathology
- Glencoe Software
- Perspectum Diagnostics
- Oxford Cancer Biomarkers
- Sonrai Analytics