Given I've been away for 2-weeks, and then not posted the news to this feed last week -- this week's news is a bumper edition. Lots of things to report:
1) In some great news, I'm happy to report that Sam Moore will be moving to a Lectureship in Lancaster from November. Sam's work on vaccination during the COVID outbreak has been superb, with massive impact - helping to set UK policy. He will be greatly missed, but I hope many of us will keep collaborating.
2) Other terrific news is that Robin Thompson is now a Dad. His daughter Lily was born on 30th July - massive congratulations to Robin & Rebecca.
3) We are planning to re-start SBIDER seminars on Mondays at 2-3pm, when term begins. Suki has already booked us a room in the Oculus, and there is space for lunch beforehand (1-2). For this coming term, we thought it would be easier to pick from the wealth of researchers in Warwick - probably alternating between SBIDER and non-SBIDER people. Please can you either
(i) send me & Suki suggestions for non-SBIDER talks (person's name & email and even subject area would be good) and volunteers from SBIDER; or
(ii) put the details on the google spread-sheet: https://docs.google.com/
spreadsheets/d/15Lv1fVB_ eaulmHn8wz9JEt- PTgd7x63I1a8pWntETUI/edit?usp= sharingLink opens in a new window
4) Erin reports that Tino Pori, one of her phd students, has just received a grant from the Medical and Life Sciences research fund for "Rift Valley fever virus at a wildlife-livestock interface: what role do African buffalo play in virus circulation?". He will start trapping mosquitoes and testing cattle and wildlife for infection starting this winter.
5) Not content with one bit of good news, Robin has also just won his first main PI grant. The funding is from the Wellcome Trust for "The impact of climate variability on infectious disease epidemic risks", which will employ a PDRA from January 2023 -- talk to Robin or Matt if you know someone with strong computer skills that might be interested.
6) The latest SBIDER Careers Podcast has just been released. Ed & Laura chatted with Suki - really informative and entertaining:
https://www.podbean.com/media/share/pb-n9eed-12a0554Link opens in a new window
7) There has been a bumper crop of papers while I've been away (2 from me, 2 from Robin and 3 from Xavier!):
- Kaye, AR; Hart, WS; Bromiley, J; Iwami, S; Thompson, RN (2022) A direct comparison of methods for assessing the threat from emerging infectious diseases in seasonally varying environments JOURNAL OF THEORETICAL BIOLOGY 548 111195
- Carson, J; Ledda, A; Ferretti, L; Keeling, M; Didelot, X (2022) The bounded coalescent model: Conditioning a genealogy on a minimum root date JOURNAL OF THEORETICAL BIOLOGY 548 111186
- Hart, WS; Abbott, S; Endo, A; Hellewell, J; Miller, E; Andrews, N; Maini, PK; Funk, S; Thompson, RN (2022) Inference of the SARS-CoV-2 generation time using UK household data ELIFE 11 e70767
- Volk, D; Yang-Turner, F; Didelot, X; Crook, DW; Wyllie, D (2022) Catwalk: identifying closely related sequences in large microbial sequence databases MICROBIAL GENOMICS 8 850
- Prosser, NS; Green, MJ; Ferguson, E; Tildesley, MJ; Hill, EM; Keeling, MJ; Kaler, J (2022) Cattle farmer psychosocial profiles and their association with control strategies for bovine viral diarrhea JOURNAL OF DAIRY SCIENCE 105 3559-3573
- Orangi, S et al. (2022) Epidemiological impact and cost-effectiveness analysis of COVID-19 vaccination in Kenya BMJ GLOBAL HEALTH 7 e009430
- Willgert, K; Didelot, X; Surendran-Nair, M; Kuchipudi, SV; Ruden, RM; Yon, M; Nissly, RH; Vandegrift, KJ; Nelli, RK; Li, LL; Jayarao, BM; Levine, N; Olsen, RJ; Davis, JJ; Musser, JM; Hudson, PJ; Kapur, V; Conlan, AJK (2022) Transmission history of SARS-CoV-2 in humans and white-tailed deer. SCIENTIFIC REPORTS 12 12094
- Kamau, A; Musau, M ; Mwakio, S; Amadi, D; Nyaguara, A; Bejon, P; Seale, AC ; Berkley, JA; Snow, RW (2022) Impact of Intermittent Presumptive Treatment for Malaria in Pregnancy on Hospital Birth Outcomes on the Kenyan Coast. CLINICAL INF. DIS. 10.1093/cid/ciac509
- Prosser, NS; Hill, EM; Armstrong, D; Gow, L; Tildesley, MJ; Keeling, MJ; Kaler, J; Ferguson, E; Green, MJ (2022) Descriptive analysis of national bovine viral diarrhoea test data in England (2016-2020). VET. RECORD e1854
- Agoti, CN; Ochola-Oyier, LI; Dellicour, S (2022) Transmission networks of SARS-CoV-2 in Coastal Kenya during the first two waves: A retrospective genomic study. ELFE 11 e71703