I am a second year PhD researcher within the Division of Health Sciences at Warwick Medical School. My research aims to understand what makes an effective weight management programme for adolescents, with a view to influencing practice in the West Midlands. This is being approached in three phases, as outlined below:
- A qualitative systematic review: What are the views of overweight and obese adolescents (12-17 years) attending lifestyle treatment interventions?
- Revisting a quantitative systematic review of adolescent lifestyle obesity treatment. Included trials will be revisted with findings from the qualitative systematic review to support interpretation of included studies using Qualitative Comparative Analysis (QCA).
- An indepth qualitative investigation with adolescents and relevant community stakeholders in order to explore the barriers and facilitators to healthy weight in adolescents within the West Midlands, using focus groups and interviews.
This research sits within the Prevention and Detection theme of the NIHR Collaborations for Leadership in Applied Health Research and Care (West Midlands) and is a collaboration with the Public Health Department within Coventry City Council.
Research Interests: Public health nutrition across the life course, obesity (children & adults), behaviour change
- Jones, H., Melendez-Torres, G. J., Al-Khudairy, L. & Oyebode, L. (2016) What are the views of overweight and obese adolescents (12-17yrs) attending lifestyle treatment interventions: a qualitative systematic review. [online] Available from: http://www.crd.york.ac.uk/PROSPERO/display_record.asp?ID=CRD42016039588
- Kelly, S.A., Hartley, L., Loveman, E., Colquitt, J.L., Jones, H.M., Al-Khudairy, L., Clar, C., Germanò, R., Lunn, H.R., Frost, G. and Rees, K., 2017. Whole grain cereals for the primary or secondary prevention of cardiovascular disease. The Cochrane database of systematic reviews, 8, p.CD005051.[online] Available from: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/14651858.CD005051.pub3/abstract
- Jones HM, Al-Khudairy L, Melendez-Torres G, et al P93 What are the views of overweight and obese adolescents (12–17yrs) attending lifestyle treatment interventions: a qualitative systematic review. J Epidemiol Community Health 2017;71:A93-A94. Available from: http://jech.bmj.com/content/71/Suppl_1/A93.2.citation-tools
- Jones, H.M., Al-Khudairy, L., Melendez-Torres, G.J. and Oyebode, O., 2017. Viewpoints of overweight and obese adolescents attending lifestyle obesity treatment interventions: a qualitative systematic review. The Lancet, 390, p.S50. Available from: http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0140673617329859
- Dr Oyinlola Oyebode
- Dr Lena Alkhudairy
- Dr G.J. Melendez-Torres
Funders: My research is funded by the National Institute for Health Research (NIHR) Collaborations for Leadership in Applied Health Research and Care West Midlands (CLAHRC WM).