Equality, Diversity, and Inclusion in MathSys
In MathSys, we are committed to promoting equality, diversity, and inclusion (EDI) throughout our admissions and MSc year as well as in our research environment. We recognise the importance of fostering an inclusive and supportive community for all individuals, regardless of their background or circumstances.
Through the initiatives and practices outlined below, we aim to create an inclusive and equitable environment that values and respects the diversity of all individuals. We are committed to continuously reviewing and improving our EDI efforts to ensure that everyone has equal opportunities to succeed and thrive within our organisation.
Recruitment and advertising
- We ensure the use of inclusive and neutral language in our adverts, avoiding any form of bias or discrimination.
- We promote transparency by providing comprehensive application information and making the interview process clear and accessible to all candidates.
- To enhance accessibility, we offer information in various formats, including making the student handbook freely available online.
- We prioritise staff training on best EDI practices to ensure a consistent and inclusive approach to recruitment.
- We collaborate with the Widening Participation (WP) Team to identify and support students from disadvantaged or underrepresented groups in Mathematics, providing mentoring opportunities to help them realise their potential in pursuing postgraduate studies.
- We actively engage in recruitment campaigns targeted at underrepresented groups, aiming to increase their representation within our organisation.
- Our website showcases case studies highlighting the achievements of alumni from underrepresented groups, demonstrating our commitment to diversity and inclusivity.
- We lower financial barriers to postgraduate education by waiving the application fees for our courses.
The Piscopia Initiative
The Mathematics Institute has a Local Committee from this fantastic student-led UK-wide society. Their aim is to provide women and non-binary mathematics students with:
- a platform to ask about and receive information on doing a PhD,
- a UK-wide community of women & non-binary students and mathematics researchers,
in order to overcome existing barriers in the recruitment and retention of students from these communities.
EDI in Maths at Warwick
Visit the Warwick Mathematics Institute EDI webpage for more information on department-wide EDI initiatives and events, our Athena Swan action plan, and for contact details for the Maths EDI Committee.