- Warwick Evidence will be attending and presenting posters at the Society for Social Medicine Conference from 12th-14th September 2012 (link to Society for Social Medicine Conference).
Professor Norman Waugh of Warwick Evidence will be attending a collaborative conference on diabetes and its complications held by the European Association for the Study of Diabetes, the Chinese Diabetes Society and Lilly, in Beijing, May 2012. Professor Waugh will be lecturing on health technology assessment in diabetes. The aim of the conference is to ‘bring an internationally-distinguished faculty of clinicians working in diabetes and its complications from Europe to one site where they will give a number of clinical lectures, bringing the delegates up to date on the management of both major types of diabetes and their complications.’ Updated: Mon 14 May 2012, 16:35
- InterTASC workshop on Value Based Pricing held at Warwick Medical School. Thank you to the speakers and attendees of the InterTASC Value Based Pricing (VBP) workshop held at Warwick Medical School, 9th May 2012. The event brought together a diverse range of speakers who offered insightful and valuable analyses on the Department of Health’s plans to adopt VBP for assessing new drugs and technologies from January 2014. The question and answer session in the afternoon stimulated interesting discussion amongst speakers and attendees. Thanks also to Professor Norman Waugh for organising the event, Professor Aileen Clarke and Dr Paul Sutcliffe for chairing and Hannah Fraser and Amy Grove for their roles in ensuring the workshop ran smoothly. Follow this link for photographs of the event. Updated: Mon 14 May 2012, 14:40
- The Guardian has published a news item on NICE's decision not to recommend belinumab for the treatment of active autoantibody-positive systemic lupus erythematosus following our report.
- Warwick Evidence will be presenting their work at this year’s HTAi conference in Bilbao. 6 members of the team will be representing Warwick Evidence at this international event.
- Dr Kandala Ngianga-Bakwin, principal research fellow and senior modeller for Warwick Evidence, gave a plenary session at the American Heart Association Annual Meeting in San Diego (13th-16th March, 2012). This conference is the most important conference in the field of cardio-vascular (CVD) epidemiology and prevention and is attended by thousands of experts in the field. Dr Kandala was honoured to present his work on Global Health with the title of Spatial Variation of Predictors of Hypertension in Sub-Saharan Africa: A Case Study of South-Africa. This invitation is also a recognition of the place of Warwick Medical School in the growing field of Global Health.
- The Warwick Evidence report on Belimumab for the treatment of active autoantibody-positive systemic lupus erythematosus is available here.
- The Daily Mail has published a news item on NICE's decision not to recommend abiraterone for patients with metastatic castration resistant prostate cancer following the first of two appraisal committee meetings using evidence documented in our STA. The second appraisal committee meeting is in April 2012.
- The team have submitted a short report on spinal metastases, an STA on botox and a scoping review on aspirin to the National Institute of Health Research.
- At the 2011 Society for Social Medicine (SSM) conference hosted by Warwick Medical School, Warwick Evidence convened a meeting of the InterTASC teams to discuss having a HTA stream in future SSM conferences. There was strong support for this from the HTA teams and discussions will be heald with the SSM National Committee.