About the certificate/award
Being a postdoctoral researcher is an exciting but disconcerting time as you have to work a lot of it out yourself. We have created a tool to develop the skills you need for the next step in your career.
The Postgraduate Certificate in Transferable Skills in Science for Postdoctoral Researchers (course code: F1PH) is a 60 CATS certificate composed of a number of modules to help you gain core skills for a career in science.
The Postgraduate Award in Transferable Skills in Science for Postdoctoral Researchers (course code: F1PJ) is a shorter version if you have less time.
Both certificate and award are very flexible. The Course Structure and Information is a summary of what is available.
Register interest and we can alert you to upcoming events! Registering interest means you want to find out more and you may even start working on the Award or Certificate without formally registering. We do encourage you to register properly as it helps provide a structure for you to develop your career.
CH959 (the main module) is one you work on with your mentor in your own time and pace. There are some special modules targetted at postdocs and you can do any of the optional modules designed for PhD students.
- From the 2015/16 academic year a special option for postdoctoral researchers is to lead a group on Teamworking in a Research Environment (CH953) as an optional module.
- Science Communication (CH954) module is invaluable for any media communication but also helps to write abstracts, give flash presentations, write manuscripts, etc.
- Research Ethics and Practice (CH973) is an important area to understand
- The other course which is particularly valuable to postdocs who want a career in industry or academia an also need to understand commercialisation of reseach is Business, Innovation and Commercialisation for Researchers (CH957) . It will give you the opportunity to both learn and to try it out.
- The PhD modules include two Academic Scientific Writing modules and a course on Decision Making and Leadership. A full listing may be found our our module webpage.
- Increasing research effectiveness
- Preparation for future roles as senior scientists and team leaders
- Developing skills for the responsibility and leadership of postdoctoral research and exploring these skills in a variety of settings
- Research has to be the first priority for our researchers and time is at a premium.
- So the modules have been designed to be embedded within normal postdoctoral activities.
- The award logs the work that researchers would do anyway.
- Plus the extra skills and wider perspective that employers are looking for, in academia and in other sectors.
- No examinations. The work is assessed by a number of short assignments.
- A key aspect of the certificate is to create a formal structure to a mentoring relationship either with your supervisor or another academic.
- Your supervisor can provide advice on choosing a suitable mentor.
- You can start work any time using the downloadable materials.
- Also formally register. To register please complete the pre-registration form
- Your details will be added to the PGCTSS Database.