WBS offers their postgraduate students the opportunity to undertake a number of voluntary, co-curricular activities to complement and enhance the skills they gain as part of their substantive course. Activities are advertised via my.wbs and on the advertising screens outside the Masters Reception.
You can book places on these activities online, via these pages. Bookings will usually open 1-2 weeks before each activity and will be offered on a first come, first served basis.
There are limited places available on these workshops. You will receive an email to confirm whether you have been successful in gaining a place. If you are no longer able to attend you must email firstname.lastname@example.org so that your place may be allocated to someone else.
Please note, it is not always possible to schedule these activities to avoid clashes with teaching, and your timetabled course events should always take priority over these non-compulsory activities
Academic Writing Sessions
- Mind your language: How to make your writing more scholarly (bookings open 6 January)
- Planning and organising an assignment (bookings open 13 January)
- Making your argument clear: Thesis statements and topic sentences (bookings open 20 January)
- The Importance of editing and proofreading your writing (bookings open 27 January)
- Exploiting journal articles to expand your vocabulary and paraphrase more effectively (bookings open 3 February)
- Overcoming dissertation anxiety (bookings open 10 February)
- Referencing and the importance of supporting your ideas with evidence (bookings open 17 February)
- Getting to grips with your dissertation guidelines and how to exploit them (bookings open 24 February)
Academic Speaking/Pronunciation Sessions
- Vowel Sounds (bookings open 6 January)
- Consonant Sounds (bookings open 13 January)
- Word Stress (bookings open 20 January)
- Weak Forms and Contractions (bookings open 27 January)
Elision (loss of sounds) (bookings open 3 February)
- Liaisons (linking of final consonant and initial vowel) (bookings open 10 February)
Intrusion and Linking (Linking vowel to vowel) (bookings open 17 February)
Pausing and Pacing (bookings open 24 February)