Born 1936, London.
Nicholas Monro attended Chelsea School of Art from 1958-61. He taught at Swindon School of Art from 1963-68 and at Chelsea College of Art in London.
Monro is an English sculptor, printmaker and art teacher. He was a member of the Pop Art movement which came into prominence in the 1960s. He stood out among this group for making sculpture the principal vehicle for his work, particularly using fibreglass, filling the Robert Fraser Gallery in London, for example, with forty fibreglass sheep. In 1977 he was commissioned by the Arts Council for a work to be included in the ‘British Genius’ exhibition in Battersea Park which was a fifteen foot high statue of Eric Morecombe and Ernie Wise. In 1972 another commission from the Peter Stuyvesant sponsored 'Sculpture for Public Places Scheme' took the form of a twenty foot sculpture of King Kong which was installed in the Bull Ring in Birmingham. In 2016 it was featured outside the Henry Moore Institute in Leeds as part of a public art event where it received enormous public acclaim.
Monro’s work is held in a number of public collections including the Victoria and Albert Museum, Tate Britain, Wolverhampton Art Gallery, the Albright Knox Gallery in Buffalo, USA and the University of Iowa.