Skip to main content Skip to navigation

Expenses FAQs

If you cannot find the answer to your query below, please email us at: expenses at warwick dot ac dot uk

When should I buy something myself and when should another payment method be used?

Anything other than travel or subsistence should not generally be paid for personally. Please ask in your Department if the item can be paid for via an invoice or a Purchasing Card. There are also circumstances where an internal food voucher is appropriate.

What can I claim on expenses?

Expense claims should only be used for reimbursement of travelling, subsistence, accommodation or other related costs. UK and European travel and accommodation over £1,000 (combined value) and all other overseas travel must be booked through Key Travel.

Goods and services other than those above should be ordered using the University purchasing procedures (see: Financial Procedure 15). Staff must not use their own funds to purchase other goods and services – these will not be reimbursed through expenses except for pre-approved minor items required in emergencies.

Further information on what can be claimed can be found in Financial Procedure FP16, which focuses on travel subsistence, gifts and hospitality.

Where can I find the current mileage and subsistence rates?

The Payroll website includes current rates for mileage and meals and other allowances.

What information do I need to include on my expenses claim?

You must include as much information as possible - for example, when claiming mileage, you must state your starting point, the end of your journey and any deviations. This enables your claim to be verified and paid without delay.

You must provide original receipts for any items of expenditure incurred on business - these include meals, train tickets, taxi journeys, etc. You must also state the reason for the journey or expense.

My claim has been authorised by my Head of Department - so why does it need to be checked by the Expenses team?

The Head of Department or authorised deputy certifies that the claim was for expenses incurred in the performance of your duties and that there is a budget within the department to cover the cost.

The Expenses team is responsible for ensuring the amounts you claim are within those authorised to be paid tax-free by HMRC and are in accordance with the University's financial regulations.

Can I save up my claims and submit them all at once?

Please combine your expenses into a single claim as much as possible, but submit no later than three months after incurring the first expense. Late claims will be considered on receipt of a written statement explaining the reason for the delay but they are not guaranteed to be paid.

Once I have completed my claim, what happens to it?

You should check on the procedures that apply within your department. However, the Head of Department or other authorised officer needs to approve your claim. The certifying officer confirms the following:

  •  The expenses were necessarily incurred in the performance of duties.
  • The expenses claimed are not payable from another source.
  • There is sufficient money in the budget to meet the costs involved.
  • Due consideration has been given to achieving value for money.

Your claim may then have to go through your department's Finance office or be signed off by Research Support Services staff before being submitted to the Expenses team for processing and payment. It also needs to be coded by someone in your department to signify which budget the cost is to be allocated to.

All those authorising expense claims must be registered with as an authorised signatory. Claims authorised by unregistered staff will be rejected by the Expenses team.

Can I claim a per diem when abroad?

Yes - please follow the link for full details, also noting:

  • Actual hotel bills must be produced – the University does not pay per diems for hotel accommodation.
    • Any meals provided must be noted on the form and the per diem will be reduced accordingly.
    • Generally a per diem is designed to cover all living and travelling expenses whilst abroad. If you believe the per diem will not cover all these costs, then you should provide receipts for all expenditure rather than claim a per diem.
    Can I claim travelling expenses between my home and place of work?

    Under normal circumstances, the cost of travel between home and a permanent place of work cannot be reimbursed. This is because travelling to work is not ‘in the performance of duties’ but simply puts you in a position to undertake the duties of your post.

    In some limited and exceptional circumstances, an employee’s home can be regarded as their permanent workplace. In these circumstances, any business travel undertaken from home would be regarded as business mileage and eligible for reimbursement.

    In other circumstances, where someone covers a geographical area with no specific base, that geographical area can be regarded as the workplace. Travel to the perimeters of the area is private mileage with business mileage applying thereafter.

    It is also possible that someone who regularly undertakes their duties in a number of different venues would treat each venue as a permanent workplace and travel to each venue is private mileage.