The choice activity module enables a teacher to ask a single question and offer a selection of possible responses.
Choice results may be published after students have answered, after a certain date, or not at all. Results may be published with student names or anonymously.
A choice activity may be used:
- As a quick poll to stimulate thinking about a topic
- To quickly test students' understanding
- To facilitate student decision-making, for example allowing students to vote on a direction for the course.
1. To add a choice activity, Click turn editing on, click on the 'Add an activity or resource' link in the section or topic where you want it to appear.
2. Choose 'Choice' from the list of activities and resources.
3. Give your choice activity a name and provide instructions, including the question your students will be making a choice about, in the Description area.
4. Select to Display description on course page and the Display mode for the choice options you want the students to make (horizontal or vertical presentation).
5. If you want to allow students to change their choice while the activity is still open, select 'Yes' next to 'Allow choice to be updated'.
6. If you want to allow students to select multiple options, select Yes next to 'Allow more than one choice to be selected'.
7. If you want to limit the number of students who can select each option, select Yes next to 'Limit the number of responses allowed'.
8. Enter each choice in an Option field, and enter Limit numbers if you have enabled limiting. Click 'Add 3 fields' if you need to add more options.
9. Under Availability, you may restrict choice activity to a time period, select dates and times for which you want this choice to be available within the Allow responses from and Allow responses until fields. You can also select Show preview to make a preview available before the choice is opened for submission.
10. Under Results, you may select whether you want to publish results for this choice activity to students, show results after they answer, show results after the choice activity is closed or always show results to students.
If you do choose to publish results to students, you may select whether you want the results to display anonymously or to display students' names. You may also select whether you want to display with an unanswered column and whether to include inactive/suspended users.
12. To view responses to a choice activity, on the course homepage click the choice activity's link, then on the choice activity page, Click 'view responses' to view all responses given so far.
For more guidance on the database activity, please see:
- Introduction to managing course participants
- Make your course visible to students
- Check participants
- Enrolment methods and managing access permissions
- Roles and their functions in Moodle
- Switch to another role
- Create groups
- Create groupings
- Using activities with groups and groupings
- Activity completion
- Course completion
- Course participation
- Introduction to assessment and feedback
- Create and grade a submission using a rubric
- Use a marking workflow for assignments
- Allocate markers to specific submissions
- Create a fail / pass scale
- Provide grades and feedback for individual assignments
- Check the status of submissions
- Hide or show grades and feedback
- Create a custom certificate
- Create and manage badges