Assignments in Moodle are activities that provide a place for students to submit work for Graders to grade and give feedback on.
Student submissions are together on one screen of your course. You can require them to submit one or several files and/or to type text essays. It is possible to have them submit work as a group and you can also choose as a teacher to grade their work 'blind' in other words not to see the identities of those who have submitted assignments. Assignments can have deadlines and cut off dates - which you can also extend if necessary.
Creating an assignment
1. Go to your Moodle space and click 'Turn editing on'.
2. Click 'Add an activity or resource' in the section where you want to setup / add the assignment.
3. Select 'Assignment' and click 'Add'
4. Enter an Assignment name
5. Enter a Description (optional). The description will serve as the assignment instruction for your students.
6. Choose an Assignment Submission Type under Submission types
- Check the 'Online text' box, the 'File submissions' box or both
7. Define the grade for the Assignment
- See Introduction to assessment and feedback for guidance
8. Set any additional assignment options. For other Assignment options, see 'Assignment settings'
- Click on Help icon next to any of the options to view more information.
The information on this page relates to Moodle v3.4 and was last updated August 2018.
- Introduction to managing course participants
- Make your course visible to students
- Check participants
- Enrolment methods and managing access permissions
- Roles and their functions in Moodle
- Switch to another role
- Create groups
- Create groupings
- Using activities with groups and groupings
- Activity completion
- Course completion
- Course participation
- Introduction to assessment and feedback
- Create and grade a submission using a rubric
- Use a marking workflow for assignments
- Allocate markers to specific submissions
- Create a fail / pass scale
- Provide grades and feedback for individual assignments
- Check the status of submissions
- Hide or show grades and feedback
- Create a custom certificate
- Create and manage badges