Google Analytics is a free service to collect and analyse data on how visitors use your website. This article describes how to add the Google Analytics tracking ID to your website in SiteBuilder. To do this, you need admin or edit permissions for your site's home page.
Note: if you already use Google Analytics via Google Tag Manager, you should not add a separate Google Analytics tracking ID in the site properties. This causes data to record twice. Instead, use the Google Tag Manager container ID in site properties.
In this article:
Add a tracking ID
- Go to analytics.google.com and sign in with your Google Account.
- Set up a property in Google Analytics and make a note of your tracking ID. It starts with
UA-. If a property already exists, you can find the tracking ID in Google Analytics via Admin > Account > Property > Property Settings.
- Return to SiteBuilder and browse to any page on your website.
- Go to Edit > More, then select the Current site tab. To do this, you need edit or admin permissions for your website's home page.
- In the Manage site section, select Edit site properties.
Enter the tracking ID in the Google Analytics code box:
- Select I have upgraded to Universal Analytics.
- Select Save changes. The tracking ID is now added to every page on your website.
The tracking ID in site properties does not cascade to sub-sites. To see data in Google Analytics for sub-sites, you have two options:
- Add the tracking ID to each sub-site – data for all sites is in one reporting dashboard in Google Analytics
- Create new tracking IDs for each sub-site – each site has a separate reporting dashboard in Google Analytics
Email webteam at warwick dot ac dot uk
How to report a problem