Use the contents list page template to create a list of links to pages and files directly beneath a page. When you add new pages or files beneath the contents list in the future, the list automatically updates.
A contents list is useful when you want to replace a long and unwieldy local navigation menu. For example, we use it for the SiteBuilder help sections. When used in this way, you should ensure that the sub-pages are set to not display in the local navigation.
In this article:
- Browse to the parent page under which you want to create the contents list.
- Go to Edit > Create a new page.
- Select Change page template to expand the options, and select Contents list.
- Use the checkboxes to specify the information you want to show in your contents list. These options are described in detail below.
- Enter the URL, page heading, title bar caption and link caption. For a description of these properties, see: How do I create a new blank page?
- Enter the keywords and page contact.
- When you have finished editing the page properties, select the Create new page button. You'll see a confirmation message with a link to view the new page.
- Browse to the page you want to change to a contents list.
- Go to Edit > Edit page properties.
- In Change page template and options, select the Contents list template.
- Use the checkboxes to specify specify the information you want to show in your contents list. These options are described in detail below.
- When you have finished editing the page properties, select the Save button.
You have several options to customise what information is shown in your contents list.
Include uploaded files
Select this option to show uploaded files in the contents list. The link caption is taken from the file's short title property. This is useful when you want to show an index of files in a quick and convenient way – for example, course notes. When you upload a new file to the page, it automatically appears in the contents list.
When you select this option, two further options become available:
- Allow users to download files as a zip – this is convenient when you want to list each file individually but make it easy for visitors to download all files at once.
- Include file size – show the size of each file in a separate column and enable sorting by file size.
Include web pages
Select this option to include all sub-pages in the contents list. The link shown in the contents list is taken from the sub-page's link caption property.
Select this option to include sub-pages' and files' description property in the contents list.
Include name of the last editor
Select this option to show the name of the person who last updated the page or file. This feature is useful when many people update pages, e.g. a research group, particularly when the last updated date option is enabled.
Include last updated date
Select this option to show the date when a page or file was last updated. This enables you to sort the contents list by the last updated date.
Select this option to show keywords property of pages and files in the contents list.
Select this option to show file type icons alongside files, and page thumbnails (where they exist) next to pages.
Number of columns
Use this option to specify how many columns are in the contents list. Say you have 30 pages in your contents list; you could choose three columns with 10 pages in each column.
The number of columns option is overriden if any of the following options are selected: include file size; include description; include name of the last editor; include last updated date; include keywords.
Email webteam at warwick dot ac dot uk
How to report a problem