Add a news feed
Use the news page template as the central place on your website to publish news items. You can then embed a feed of headlines in any other page – for example, your home page. When you publish a news item, the news feed updates automatically.
You can also embed a feed of news items tagged with a keyword – say, ‘Publications’ or ‘Conferences’. Some departments do this on their research landing pages.
Here's an example news feed in the second row of the Faculty of Social Sciences' home page:
- Go to the page where you want to add the news feed.
- Go to Edit > Edit centre content or Edit right content.
- Place your cursor in the visual editor where you want to add the feed.
In the toolbar, go to Insert a > News feed. The News feed window appears:
- In the Page path box, select the picker button and browse to the location of the news page you want to take a feed from. Alternatively, enter the relative link to the news page.
- Specify the Number of items to show.
- Choose whether headlines in your feed link to the full news item or display as static text. For the former, select Headlines are clickable links.
- Choose whether or not to Show publication dates above each headline.
- Choose whether or not to Show thumbnail images alongside each headline.
- Optionally, restrict the number of characters in the headline or story by entering a number in the Show only first n characters boxes.
- Under the Display options, choose how you want the headlines to appear.
Optionally, limit the news feed to show items with particular tags. To do so, in the Filter by tag box, enter the tags separated by commas. For example:
When you have finished specifying the options, select Insert. You should see text similar to the following in the visual editor:
[sched-news num=3 showthumbnails=true tags='Postgraduate,Publications,Research seminars']/fac/department/news[/sched-news]
The attributes of the
[sched-news]tag in the example above specify:
- show the most recent three news items
- show thumbnail images alongside each headline
- only show news items with any of the tags ‘Postgraduate’, ‘Publications’ or ‘Research seminars’
- When you have finished editing your page, select Publish. You should see the news items in a list. When you publish a news item to your main news page in the future, the feed updates automatically.
Email webteam at warwick dot ac dot uk
How to report a problem