Copy page contents (Components Editor)
This help article covers how to use the contents of a Components Editor page to replace the contents of another page (the target page). If the target page is not itself a Components Editor page, it is converted as part of the process.
Tip: two useful things you can do with this functionality are:
- Create a replacement homepage, for example, in the Components Editor and then use the contents of your replacement to overwrite the contents of your current homepage. This will convert your current homepage to the Components Editor at the same time.
- Make a copy of a complex page that you want to convert to the Components Editor, convert and work on the copy, publishing as many times as needed until you are happy with it, then use the contents of this page to overwrite the contents of the original. This will convert the original page to the Components Editor at the same time.
- Select Edit at the top right of the page, and from the dropdown menu select More.
- You're taken to the Current page tab. On the right, select the link labelled Copy page contents.
- Use the search icon to the right of the Overwrite contents of box to select the target page. Alternatively, copy and paste the path of the page into the box. The path is the part of the page's address that is after
- If the page you are copying the content from has files, such as images, saved beneath it and used on the page, ensure you leave Copy files to target page selected.
- Select the Copy page contents button at the bottom. If the target page is already a Components Editor page, its contents are overwritten.
- If the target page is not a Components Editor page, you'll see a warning message informing you that this process cannot be undone. You'll also see a preview of how the target page currently looks, so you can be confident you have selected the correct page. Select the Copy page contents button again if you are happy to proceed. This converts the target page to a Components Editor page and overwrites its contents. Or, to stop the process and make no change to the target page, select the Cancel button.
Note: you can view previous versions of the target page, but as it is now a Components Editor page only versions of the page published using the Components Editor can be restored. If the target page was already a Components Editor page, you can restore previous versions from before you overwrote its contents.
- Go to the target page and refresh it in your browser, if necessary, to see the changes.
- To check that the target page has been converted to a Components Editor page, select Edit > More at the top right. You'll see from the label next to the Edit centre content link that the page is now a Components Editor page.
Email webteam at warwick dot ac dot uk
How to report a problem