The Environment & Social Sustainability Action Group (ESSAG) was formed, on behalf of the University Executive Board and the University Estate and Environment Committee, for coordinating the University’s approach to Environmental and Social Sustainability. ESSAG works with and advises other relevant committees and groups in the context of their remit which impacts Environmental and Social Sustainability.
The role of ESSAG:
To discuss and recommend, as necessary, to the University Executive Board / University Estate and Environment Committee / Financial Plan Sub-Committee:
- Proposals regarding the facilitation, coordination, implementation and continuous improvement of the University five Routes to Net Zero.
- Proposals for the development of a culture of sustainability within the institution to include raising awareness, building confidence and providing support.
- Substantive proposals to encourage and promote locally generated sustainability initiatives, including recommendations for resourcing implications as required.
- Environmental sustainability communication programmes to raise awareness and promote broader environmental and social sustainability.
- The University Annual Sustainability Statement, providing an assessment on progress against agreed KPIs, governance effectiveness and recommendations for improvement.
To recommend to the Policy Oversight Group:
- Environmental and social sustainability-related policies and procedures.
- The establishment and disestablishment of any necessary sub-groups acting as a network of resources to actively progress sustainability Routes to Zero.
- Reports on the implementation of the University’s approach to Environmental and Social Sustainability.
- Reports from Faculties, Departments and other relevant committees and groups on planning and operations, to ensure these are aligned with the University’s overarching approach to environmental and social sustainability.
- Reports from sub-groups from Sustainable Development Advisory Group & Energy Infrastructure Group.
- To the University Executive Board regularly (at least three times per year) on operational activity in support of the Environmental and Social sustainability objectives.
- To the University Estate and Environment Committee as required and at least annually.
ESSAG reports to the University Executive Board on operational activity in support of the Environmental and Social sustainability objectives. As the major proportion of the work of ESSAG relates to the University Estate and the delivery of the masterplan, ESSAG also reports to the University Estate and Environment Committee, drawing upon its expertise for strategic guidance.