This module is offered to students who have successfully completed LL225 Japanese 2 module / LL291 Japanese Accelerated Beginners or those with good equivalent working knowledge of Japanese (CEFR A1+ / A2). Students who have attained a good grade (minimum A) in GCSE Japanese could enter this level if they are highly motivated.
This module aims to enable students:
- To understand and produce language on topics which are familiar or of personal interest
- To work towards or achieve A2.2 standard of the CEFR (Common European Framework of reference)
This module is available for 24 or 30 credits.
21-week teaching, each of which will include:
- Asynchronous pre-recorded video(s) - accessible through Moodle, to be studied before the synchronous session
- 2-hour face-to-face/online synchronous session in small group
- Independent study & homework
Students are reminded that 1 credit = 10 hours of study, therefore the minimum expected amount of study over the course of this module is 240 hours. 10 hours of study a week on average will be required including independent study.
Term 1 - Interim test (10%) - scheduled on Saturday, 11 December 2021
Term 3 - Reading/writing test (50%) + Speaking test (40%)
The following textbook must be bought by students.
Minna No Nihongo 2nd Ver: Bk.2 w/ Cd (2013) ISBN-13: 978-4883196463
NB: Students need to buy this edition.
NB: The first half of the book will be used for this module.
The following book is highly recommended for students to buy.
Minna No Nihongo 2nd Ver: Bk.2 Translation & Grammatical Notes English Ver ISBN-13: 978-4-88319-664-7
By the end of the module, students should be able to:
- Apply knowledge of grammar appropriate to the level
- Understand texts on topics that are familiar or of personal interest
- Engage in oral communication describing situations with relevant details
- Provide reasons and evidence when giving opinions on familiar topics
- Produce text on topics which are familiar or of personal interest, using correct characters
- asking for and giving advice
- expressing ability and possibility
- discribing an action done in preparation
- expressing of regret, embarrassment and completion of action
- expressing one's plans etc.
- potential forms of verbs
- intransitive verbs
- volitional forms of verbs
- imperative and prohibitive forms of verbs
- conditional forms of verbs
- passive forms of verbs etc.
- further Kanji