Please note: this course will not be offered in 2018/19
You will probably have completed over 200 hours of tuition or done the intermediate course at the language centre. You are now confident with daily conversations as well as some topics on non-routine situations, can give prepared presentations on a range of common topics with reasonable accuracy, but feel the need for more vocabulary and more practice, both in speaking and reading.
The course will further develop your reading, writing, listening and speaking skills and help you to communicate more effectively and coherently in the language on a variety of topics. You will be able to read with more independence and take part in discussion and put forward your views.
1 x 2 hour class per week plus some independent learning.
Contemporary Chinese 3, Zhongwei Wu, Sinolingua, ISBN: 7-80052-918-5
All text books can be purchased from the University Bookshop.
This course is based on the textbook "Contemporary Chinese 3" from lesson 7 to lesson 12. It will strength your speaking, listening and reading skills. Emphasis will be placed on oral presentations and exchange of views and ideas. Further development of grammatical structures and vocabulary will be integrated into the course activities. You will explore and discuss aspects of both the traditional Chinese culture and the society's moden life.
Homework will be given after each session to enable you to reinforce and practice the language learnt in class.
- the culture of choosing children's names in China;
- the story of the Dragon Boat Festival;
- the story of the "White Snake";
- the meaning of "Confucius Moving House";
- Chinese and books;
- new start after being laid off;
- preparing for job interview;
- borrowing or asking for money from parents;
- Chinese people's festivals.
- the extended usage of the directional complement;
- sentence of existence and appearance;
- summary of adverbs;
- summary of prepositions;
- compound sentences;
- connection and coherence of a discourse;
topics and changing topics.