Italian Beginners (L71) - Updated for 2019/20
You are a complete beginner, knowing virtually nothing of the language.
You will develop competence in a range of predictable simple everyday language tasks. The course will provide a very basic knowledge of the structure and vocabulary of the language.
Please read our Can-do Statements (link on the right of this page) to see the competences which you will be working towards and can achieve by the end of the year.
1 x 2 hour class per week plus some independent learning.
- Nuovo Espresso 1, Luciana Ziglio, Giovanna Rizzo, Alma Edizioni, ISBN: 978-88618231-74 (book + DVD ROM). The book has a white cover.
A copy can be purchased from the University Bookshop.
Based on a step-by-step approach, the course is divided into learning blocks each of which focuses on practical, useful and manageable language. You will develop cultural awareness of Italy. You will have access to online resources for a more independent learning.
Homework tasks will be set each week to consolidate what you have learnt in class.
Units 1 to 6 of Nuovo Espresso 1 cover the following:
- formal and informal communication;
- asking and giving personal details;
- ordering food and drinks;
- talking about work;
- talking about leisure time;
- expressing likes and preferences;
- describing a place;
- asking and giving directions;
- asking and telling the time;
- booking a hotel room;
- making complaints and offering solutions;
- describing a house;
- describing a town;
- booking holiday accommodation;
- talking about the weather.
- articulate prepositions;
- demonstrative pronouns;
- simple prepositions;
- personal pronouns;
- present tense;
- irregular verbs;
- likes and dislikes;
- adverbs of time;
- modal verbs.
- listening, speaking, reading and writing.