Spanish Intermediate (L125)
You will have completed over 150 hours of tuition or have had a good foundation at school in the language, at least 'O'/GCSE level with grades A & B or A-level up to grade C or equivalent. You have reached the stage where you can understand a good proportion of the language when native speakers talk to you about a range of common topics. You can express yourself simply and with reasonable accuracy but you are hesitant in more demanding situations. You want to develop your fluency and extend the range of contexts in which you use the language.
The course will improve your competence in an increasing range of factual, persuasive and expressive language tasks performed in a variety of contexts.
Please read our Can-do Statements (link on the right of this page) to see the competences which you will be working towards and can achieve by the end of the year.
1 x 2 hour class per week plus some independent learning.
Course Texts (must be bought by student):
- Nuevo Prisma Nivel A2 - Libro del Alumno + CD + Extensión digital. Edinumen. ISBN: 978-84-9848-370-3 -- New edition.
- Recommended: Nuevo Prisma Nivel A2 - Libro de Ejercicios + Extensión digital. Edinumen. ISBN: 978-84-9848-372-7 -- New edition.
A copy can be purchased from the University Bookshop.
Based on a step-by-step approach, the course is divided into learning blocks each of which focuses on practical, useful and manageable language. You will develop cultural awareness of the Spanish speaking world.
Homework tasks will be set each week to consolidate what you have learnt in class.
- fairy tales and stories;
- the environment;
- outdoor leisure activities;
- the weather;
- traditional festivals;
- housework activities;
- Internet shopping;
- football and other sports;
- imperfect tense;
- revision of past tenses;
- future tense;
- the conditional;
- the imperative (affirmative and negative);
- direct and indirect object pronouns;
- present subjunctive.
- listening, speaking, reading and writing.