Download a German version of the text.
Im Frühlingsschatten fand ich sie;
Ich sah sie an; mein Leben hing
Doch lispelt' ich ihr sprachlos zu,
Sie sah mich an; ihr Leben hing
The Chain of Roses
In the shadow of springtime I found her
I looked at her; my life hung
But wordlessly I whispered
She looked at me; her life hung
In approaching this poem you might like to consider the following questions:
* How many individuals are involved in this poem (including the narrative voice or 'Ich' reciting it)?
* What is the 'action' of this poem? What events occur? (they might be quite simple)
* What kind of 'love' is being described in this poem? Fleeting momentary desire, or something longer term? Why do you say this?
* Which patterns of repeated words and images do you find in the poem? Does this have any effect on us as readers/ listeners?
* Why does Goethe chose to write about love in terms of a ribbon? And what does this 'ribbon' mean?
Performed by Christian Wewerka